COLUMNARIS treatmnet

1. mare2009 Well Known Member Member

Hi all... Its seems that one of my platy males, ( in established tank male tank ) has come down with columnaris. The symptom is the typical white cotton ball in/on his mouth. This afternoon, it appeared as a white line, 5hrs later its more like a ball. He is in a 5G hospital tank/ with 1st treatment of maracyn2, .. My concern is for the remaining 4 males and 3 emerald corys. They are in the 29G. Is it highly contagious, or more contagious due to stress? They were stressed as I removed the male. Whats the best course of action at this point, any suggestions wlil be appreciated. Thanks so much and hope that everyone is doing well.. mare :;hi1

* quick edit... I added 2 green corys 10 days ago..lost one of them and one male platy on the same day, and same time, 3 days ago...

2. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Aw, I'm really sorry.
    As long as they're showing any symptoms, I'd just keep an eye on the others for now.
    One of my serpaes had a mild case of mouth fungus. It didn't spread to anyone else. I has success with Jungle Fungus Eliminator.
    Good luck, I hope he recovers quickly.

3. MissMTS Fishlore VIP Member

I'm so sorry to hear that your Platy is sick Mare :( When I was dealing with Columnaris, I was advised to use Maracyn and Maracyn II simultaneously. You should also lower the temp of the tank to 74-76 degrees to prevent it from spreading more quickly. Here's a good link:

http://www.fish-help.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=265

I wouldn't treat your other fish unless they start showing symptoms. Best of luck with everything :;group

BTW: I noticed that this is under Saltwater Fish Disease...... maybe you can ask a mod to move it?

4. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Thanks Kate, didn't catch it when I replied. :)
    The thread's been moved to the FW disease section.

5. mare2009 Well Known Member Member

please move this mod :/

Thanks for pointing that out for me Kate, I did post this in saltwater disease my mistake..:rolleyes:
    I had the maracyn2 along with, 'Jungle parasite clear, and Fungus, some copper sulfate in my fish 'kids' medicine kit. I will go get some maracyn also, tomorrow. The other males are not active, and just being skiddish and hiding with the cory's now. I have a close eye on them, and cory's... thanks again

*** thank you Lucy..once again my typing skills has put me behind.. **