Columnaris Questions

Amber818

I think my CPD had columnaris. Whatever it was it ended up killing him. He was pineconed and his body was like bent and had a stripe down the back. He was also very bloated. He was breathing very hard and was upside down. My question is how do I know if it was columnaris and not just dropsy? What do I do? I have a community tank with a betta, snails, shrimp, Kuhli loach and a few other CPDs. I do not want to treat the tank unless necessary because I worry about the health of my other guys. Everyone is acting okay right now.

MacZ

My question is how do I know if it was columnaris and not just dropsy?
Dropsy is merely a symptom, often associated with bacterial infections (like columnaris). To be exact, dropsy is liquid accumulating inside the fishes body cavity due to kidney failure.
It is very much impossible to determine in hindsight whether it was columnaris or a random bacterial infection. In the latter case the bacteria are omnipresent and opportunistic, so it's not contagious to a healthy fish. Same usually goes for columnaris, most often it's contracted by scavenging on carrion of infected fish and the fish contracting it has to have a compromised immune system.

Anyhow, besides a big waterchange or two you can't really do anything now.
Just keep a keen eye on the other fish.

lojack

I dealt with a horrible columnaris infection last year. If your fish was infected with it, it would show up quickly in your other fish if they were sick as well. It looks more like lesions where their skin is dissolving from the inside out (extremely sad to see) vs pineconing.

Mine started with some corydoras and spread to the rest of them quickly. I assume because they’re always dog piling each other for food. None of the other species in my tank showed symptoms, probably since they weren’t bottom feeders.

Hopefully your other fish stay fine and I wouldn’t prematurely treat for anything if no symptoms. Good luck!

Amber818

Dropsy is merely a symptom, often associated with bacterial infections (like columnaris). To be exact, dropsy is liquid accumulating inside the fishes body cavity due to kidney failure.
It is very much impossible to determine in hindsight whether it was columnaris or a random bacterial infection. In the latter case the bacteria are omnipresent and opportunistic, so it's not contagious to a healthy fish. Same usually goes for columnaris, most often it's contracted by scavenging on carrion of infected fish and the fish contracting it has to have a compromised immune system.

Anyhow, besides a big waterchange or two you can't really do anything now.
Just keep a keen eye on the other fish.
Thank you so much!
I dealt with a horrible columnaris infection last year. If your fish was infected with it, it would show up quickly in your other fish if they were sick as well. It looks more like lesions where their skin is dissolving from the inside out (extremely sad to see) vs pineconing.

Mine started with some corydoras and spread to the rest of them quickly. I assume because they’re always dog piling each other for food. None of the other species in my tank showed symptoms, probably since they weren’t bottom feeders.

Hopefully your other fish stay fine and I wouldn’t prematurely treat for anything if no symptoms. Good luck!
Thank you so much!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bettamay
Replies
Views
eelena
Replies
Views
kymob
Replies