Columnaris Pristella Tetra

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi all,

I just noticed today that one of my Pristella Tetras was behaving oddly, swimming up against the glass at the front of the tank. I noticed that it's mouth seemed a bit red and deformed. On closer inspection, I noticed some cotton-like growth near the gills and on the body - tell tale signs of columnaris.

The only antibiotics widely available here is tetracycline, none of the other antibiotics commonly used in the US to treat columnaris are available here, I'm guessing due to quarantine laws. So I'll just have to try my luck with tetracycline.

Given it's highly contagious, should I treat my entire main tank as a precaution, or just wait and see if fish start showing symptoms? Will treating my main tank crash my cycle?

I have 7 Sterbai Corys, 7 cherry barbs and 7 Pristella (the 8th one is the sick one in quarantine).

Thanks!
Dale

Whitewolf

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes tetracycline will crash your cycle and it will leave the columnaris as the only bacteria left alive. It does not work. I believe you can get sulfa in australia, that will work
Columnaris is always present in declorinated water, it only becomes a problem in times of fish stress.

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes tetracycline will crash your cycle and it will leave the columnaris as the only bacteria left alive. It does not work. I believe you can get sulfa in australia, that will work
Columnaris is always present in declorinated water, it only becomes a problem in times of fish stress.
I just purchased some tri-sulpha today, before I read this actually. It was cheaper than the tetracycline, so good to know I got the right one!

iancrayguy

Valued Member
Reaction score
Hi I had a outbreak of columnaris about a month ago it killed a lot of my fish, what i did to treat it is do I did 30% water change, lowered the temp below 75 degrees and bought API Melafix, it worked great! I hope that this might help you it help me it’s honestly a killer, I hope your fish will get better soon!

DaleM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi I had a outbreak of columnaris about a month ago it killed a lot of my fish, what i did to treat it is do I did 30% water change, lowered the temp below 75 degrees and bought API Melafix, it worked great! I hope that this might help you it help me it’s honestly a killer, I hope your fish will get better soon!
Not much hope of dropping temp that low, I'm in tropical Australia so 75 would be an average winter temp!
I've already got Melafix

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom