Columnaris Pandemic : Contradicting Infos ?

Kevinthebreeder

All of my fish in the tank are dead because of columnaris disease. From what I read, columnaris is found in almost all tanks and fish farms and that only fish that are stressful or have low immunity are likely to get attacked by the disease. If it is so, then how come all of my fish are killed by it ? Wouldn't it be too coincidental that all of the fish have weak immunity at the same time ?

Some say that antibiotic is the best way to get rid of the virus but others say it's useless. Which one is true based on your personal experience ?

jkkgron2

IME healthy fish can fight off small columnaris outbreaks (like if some columnaris is introduced into the water, but hasn’t infected a fish yet) , but if columnaris can heavily infect or kill one fish then you have a larger amount of columnaris that will more easily spread, especially if the fish pick on the corpse of the dead fish. I use a combination of kanaplex and furan-2 to treat columnaris.

Upvote 0

A201

Columnaris is a bacteria, not a virus.
IMO, the most common mistake fish keepers make regarding a mass Columnaris infection is, failure to quickly remove the first observed infected fish from the display tank.
An infected fish acts as a Columnaris incubator. The bacteria becomes more virulent as it grows inside the fish. The likelyhood of the disease spreading intensifies.
Hand pick your fish, selecting only the most healthy & keep a well maintained, cycled tank. That is your best defense against Columnaris.

Upvote 0

AvalancheDave

Wouldn't it be too coincidental that all of the fish have weak immunity at the same time ?

Some say that antibiotic is the best way to get rid of the virus but others say it's useless. Which one is true based on your personal experience?

All the fish in the tank are subject to the same conditions.

Columnaris is a bacteria, not a virus.
IMO, the most common mistake fish keepers make regarding a mass Columnaris infection is, failure to quickly remove the first observed infected fish from the display tank.
An infected fish acts as a Columnaris incubator. The bacteria becomes more virulent as it grows inside the fish. The likelyhood of the disease spreading intensifies.
Hand pick your fish, selecting only the most healthy & keep a well maintained, cycled tank. That is your best defense against Columnaris.

Infected fish should be removed but only because dosing antibiotic in the water will harm the bio filter and it's too expensive to dose the main tank at the correct dosage.

I doubt the bacteria becomes more virulent and the amount of food an ulcerated area on a fish provides to Columnaris is inconsequential compared to the amount of organic waste in the typical aquarium.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies
Views
jpm995
Replies
Views
Redshark1
Replies