Columnaris Outbreak

• Thread starter Bettayonce
  • Start date

Bettayonce

Hello everyone!

I had a columnaris outbreak in one of my tanks and sadly, my fish didn’t make it. There are a lot of plants and decorations in the tank so I don’t want to tear it down. I’m planning to stock that tank again once I completely eradicate the columnaris.

Will columnaris eventually die off once there’s no more host just like ich, and how long will that take? Or do I just continue to medicate the tank?

I was medicating with melafix and aquarium salt, but i was too late.

Please help me! Thank you!

RomanNoodles96

Well Known
Bettayonce said:
Hello everyone!

I had a columnaris outbreak in one of my tanks and sadly, my fish didn’t make it. There are a lot of plants and decorations in the tank so I don’t want to tear it down. I’m planning to stock that tank again once I completely eradicate the columnaris.

Will columnaris eventually die off once there’s no more host just like ich, and how long will that take? Or do I just continue to medicate the tank?

I was medicating with melafix and aquarium salt, but i was too late.

Please help me! Thank you!
Melafix and aquarium salt won't do anything for columnaris, most people recommend furan 2 and kanaplex. I dont know if it will die off or not without any hosts, it may go into a dormant state. DoubleDutch seems to know a lot about it so I'd see what they have to say about it.

Bettayonce

RomanNoodles96 said:
Melafix and aquarium salt won't do anything for columnaris, most people recommend furan 2 and kanaplex. I dont know if it will die off or not without any hosts, it may go into a dormant state. DoubleDutch seems to know a lot about it so I'd see what they have to say about it.
I already purchased Furan-2 and will get it tomorrow. I am concerned though because my tank is a planted tank. My plants are fairly easy and low tech plants so I’m not sure if they’ll be able to handle the medications.
I have:

Amazon swords
Bacopa carolina
Anubias
Crypto wendtii
Crypto crinkle
Hygrophila stricta
Dwarf saggitaria

Any advice regarding dosing furan-2 in planted tank?

Bettayonce

RomanNoodles96 said:
Also, do I have to use both furan2 and kanaplex?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Those antibiotics will likely put a huge dent in the BB, potentially causing an ammonia spike.
Columnaris is an opportunistic bacteria that infects weakened fish.
Strong healthy fish can usually slough it off. Columnaris is also a natural component present in a FW aquarium environment.
IMO, a big 50% WC coupled with a two week fish vacancy should bring you back to a restocking point.
If possible hand pick the next group of fish you stock, selecting only the strongest most vibrant ones available.

Bettayonce

A201 said:
Those antibiotics will likely put a huge dent in the BB, potentially causing an ammonia spike.
Columnaris is an opportunistic bacteria that infects weakened fish.
Strong healthy fish can usually slough it off. Columnaris is also a natural component present in a FW aquarium environment.
IMO, a big 50% WC coupled with a two week fish vacancy should bring you back to a restocking point.
If possible hand pick the next group of fish you stock, selecting only the strongest most vibrant ones available.
This is really helpful. But may i just clarify if I understood correctly.

I don’t need to put any medication, 50% water change, no fish for 2 weeks, then I could put fish after those 2 weeks and if they’re healthy enough, they won’t get infected with columnaris?

A201

Fishlore VIP
Your tank will likely be fine with the reccomendations listed above.
Antibiotics wreck havoc on an established aquarium environment & rarely cure infected fish.
More & more countries are banning antibiotics for aquarium use.
Prevention is the best cure for Columnaris. Careful selection of fish, stable water parameters & good nutrition.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Bettayonce said:
This is really helpful. But may i just clarify if I understood correctly.

I don’t need to put any medication, 50% water change, no fish for 2 weeks, then I could put fish after those 2 weeks and if they’re healthy enough, they won’t get infected with columnaris?
Yeah and solve possible stressfactors,
variation in food, keep up waterchanges

Bettayonce

A201 said:
Antibiotics wreck havoc on an established aquarium environment & rarely cure infected fish.
Prevention is the best cure for Columnaris. Careful selection of fish, stable water parameters & good nutrition.
Thank you so much, this helped a lot!

Bettayonce

A201 said:
One more question. I have 2 nerite snails in that tank, is there any chance that they could host columnaris and potentially infect new fish?

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Bettayonce I believe that you don't need to sterilise your tank or worry about your snails. This is why.

Basically, all freshwater fish have Columnaris bacteria living on their slime coat without problems.

Healthy fish have a healthy immune system that protects them from the bacteria.

If fish become unhealthy and the immune system is weakened then the bacteria can attack and feed on their skin, fins, gills and muscle, causing disease and even death to the fish.

Various factors can cause stress and decrease immunity including incorrect water parameters such as temperature, ammonia, nitrate, oxygenation etc.

Other factors that may induce stress including bullying, overcrowding, lack of plant cover for security etc.

To be a successful fish keeper demands that you master the art of keeping these factors at the optimal level for your fish in order to prevent stress and avoid disease.

Otherwise you will be merely a fish buyer like the majority of aquarists and be visiting the LFS for new fish every few weeks.

Bettayonce

Redshark1 said:
Bettayonce I believe that you don't need to sterilise your tank or worry about your snails. This is why.

Basically, all freshwater fish have Columnaris bacteria living on their slime coat without problems.

Healthy fish have a healthy immune system that protects them from the bacteria.

If fish become unhealthy and the immune system is weakened then the bacteria can attack and feed on their skin, fins, gills and muscle, causing disease and even death to the fish.

Various factors can cause stress and decrease immunity including incorrect water parameters such as temperature, ammonia, nitrate, oxygenation etc.

Other factors that may induce stress including bullying, overcrowding, lack of plant cover for security etc.

To be a successful fish keeper demands that you master the art of keeping these factors at the optimal level for your fish in order to prevent stress and avoid disease.

Otherwise you will be merely a fish buyer like the majority of aquarists and be visiting the LFS for new fish every few weeks.
I’ve been thinking about how my fish became stressed out because this tank has been running for 7 months now and I didn’t do anything different. One fish died and suddenly more fish die everyday until none remained.

I was thinking it could be due to catching the siamese algae eaters because since they are really hard to catch, I had to remove the stone decorations and took a pretty long time catching them.

My plant is heavily planted tho with lots of hides provided. Don’t worry because I assure that I am passionate in this hobby. I have been in this hobby for more than a year now (and I’ve had prior experience 3 years ago but decided to quit) and things went well during that time. It’s just unfortunate that this situation didn’t turn out well.

Top Bottom