Help Columnaris On Betta????

Blueberrybetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I've been doing more reading and someone said that it looks like my betta has "saddleback disease" or "columnaris " ??? Please help ! I cant figure out if its fin rot, saddleback, fungus . I cant pinpoint which one to treat.

It started with his fins , they started to lose color then it went to the top of his body on his scales in a patch, the patch isnt slimy , fuzzy , or bumpy. Its flat scales just lost color. He is eating normal , he is swimming but he wont open his dorsal fin all th way. He isnt rubbing against anything either . Should I be worried or treat it with something?

pH:7.5
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate: .5ppm
Ammonia: 0ppm

I've been doing %30 water changes everyother day like someone suggested and I've been treating with almond leaves and salt baths.

Please help! I'm getting so many different responses and reading different things

Attachments

AlpineTheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Fish do not lose color or develop crumply looking, raggedy fin for no reason. From the last post he might not be young and spry, but fish do not deteriorate this quickly for no reason

When you ask questions on forums there will never be 100% consensus on what is going on. If you keep waiting till you get the same answer from everyone before you treat your fish, your fish will most likely be dead by then. IF you could ever get everyone to give you the same advice at all...

Bacterial infection. I am 90% sure.

What bacteria? Nobody can tell for sure, we dont have a microscope. What is more important than figuring out what it is , is treating it before it is too late. His chance of recovery decreases if you let him deteriorate.

The reason you dont need to know exactly what it is, is because we have broad spectrum antibiotics! Think about it, when you go to the doctors for , say, bronchitis, does he usually culture right away? Usually not, generally they prescribe broad spectrum antibiotics.

I would advise Broad spectrum antibiotics for 10-14 days. The following antibiotics are very broad spectrum and will treat columnaris, or if it is pseudomonas or aeromonas infection( which are common pathogen for fish) they will take care of them as well.

Try kanaplex+ furan 2. Other options includes naladixic acid ( naladin from aquatronics), maracyn plus ( sulfamethoxazole trimethoprim) or maracyn two. In serious cases I have got the best result from kanaplex and furan-2 combined.

Monitor him during treatment as sick fish can be less tolerant of medication ( although seachem dosage is pretty tame so I don't think he will have any trouble) address water parameter ( ensure appropriate and stable ph, kh , gh and 0 ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Stable and appropriate temperature and no stress

Treat now, don't wait.

AlpineTheBetta

Valued Member
Reaction score
I agree. When treating my cory for columnaris I sterilized his tank every two weeks and give him new substrate and boil all his "furnitures" and also do tons of water change. This helps cut down on the amount of bacteria in the water column. However when doing big water changes use airline tubing to drip new water in as dumping it in is harder on the fish.

Water change is great, but too much can be stressful too. Even if you match all parameters. there is a lot more going on than we test for..so yes waterchange but do not go overboard. 50% every other day was plenty and all my sick fish did fine. The only time I did it daily was when a betta jumped out of his tank and tons of his slime coat/ dead bits of fin fell out the first couple days.

JenC

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Just adding another vote for treating with nitrofurazone in conjunction with kanamycin.

Toggle Sidebar

UV Sterilizers Worth It?

• Yes

Votes: 14 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 4 7.8%
  • IDK - never used one before

Votes: 33 64.7%

Top Bottom