Columnaris help needed

BestFishTankGuy

Community tank 75 gallon heavily planted

a fish from petsmart introduced columnaris into my tank. I’ve isolated the three fish exhibiting cotton mouth , did a 60% water change and installed a 24 watt UV sterilizer. (Green killing machine)

It is recommended to treat the whole tank however I am heavily planted (with some pretty expensive plants too) and I am worried of damaging them as well as crashing my cycle (tank is only about 1month old. Since cycling)

it’s recommended to use Kanamycin + Furan 2. I only have Kanaplex on hand right now.
local LFS do not have furan 2 in stock and neither does Amazon. Not sure how in how long furan 2 will arrive if I order it.

I’m thinking of treating my 3 fish separately with kanaplex to start. Hopefully the UV sterilizer will prevent further spread. I also think I will add some salt to my tank as I read that will help.

anybody have any other recommendations as to the best course of action ?
I also read the low Oxygen can cause columnaris. I inject a LOT of co2. Did that contribute to the outbreak ? I have since increased surface agitation .

Attachments

• 934CC85A-7390-4D5A-A90B-014888E1FFEE.jpeg
    934CC85A-7390-4D5A-A90B-014888E1FFEE.jpeg
    138.3 KB · Views: 16

Pwilly07

I used ciprofloxacin and it did extremely well. Much better than kanaplex and Furan-2.

Upvote 0

BestFishTankGuy

Update. Added salt to main tank to prevent the spread. Pulled out 3 more infected fish. The salt seems to have really stressed out the harlequin rasboras which is strange because I only added 1tbsp per 5 gallons which I think is relatively low. They have been swimming frantically since last night. All other fish seem okay including the snails.

the columnaris also only seems to be affecting my bettas.

Upvote 0

Pwilly07

Update. Added salt to main tank to prevent the spread. Pulled out 3 more infected fish. The salt seems to have really stressed out the harlequin rasboras which is strange because I only added 1tbsp per 5 gallons which I think is relatively low. They have been swimming frantically since last night. All other fish seem okay including the snails.

the columnaris also only seems to be affecting my bettas.
Salt will not help you then if you are only at 1 tbs per 5 gallons. You need to get it up to 1 tbs per gallon to really help you out. But, with a bunch of plants, salt can also mess with them. As suggested, get Ciprofloxacin. I got mine from Kraft Drug. I think it was 100, 500mg tablets when I had an issue for like $73. Cured it like a champ within 8 days. Stopped disease progression in about 2-3.

Upvote 0

Redshark1

The reason Columnaris takes over the fish is stress. Stress lowers the effectiveness of the immune system. In this case the issue is probably the stress of transport and the difficulty acclimatising to an unfamiliar environment and conditions.

Spread to established residents of a community is concerning and could mean these fish were already stressed or a virulent strain of bacterium is present which is able to overcome a healthy immune system.

There are too many variables to be certain of what you are dealing with and how easy it will be to recover from. There are different strains of Columnaris with different levels of virulence and host utilisation and different stages of its escape from normal immune system control. These all affect recovery.

I have tended to have faith on my ability to provide good conditions for my fish and have accepted some losses in the knowledge that things will get better and my aquarium will recover from the setback.

I am careful where I purchase my fish from and check that the retailer is not suffering losses in the display tank. I generally keep longer-lived fish and minimise new introductions. I do keep Cardinal Tetras which live only a few years (4-5 in captivity, often annual in the wild). Luckily, I have found a reliable supplier of healthy Cardinals who have sound biosecurity and acclimatisation procedures.

Chemical applications I have found to be unhelpful and even damaging, tempting though it is to look for a magic cure in a bottle. I have not found good examples of Columnaris being cured by others to give much hope here.

Upvote 0

BestFishTankGuy

Salt will not help you then if you are only at 1 tbs per 5 gallons. You need to get it up to 1 tbs per gallon to really help you out. But, with a bunch of plants, salt can also mess with them. As suggested, get Ciprofloxacin. I got mine from Kraft Drug. I think it was 100, 500mg tablets when I had an issue for like $73. Cured it like a champ within 8 days. Stopped disease progression in about 2-3.

thank you. The salt was for the healthy inhabitants to prevent spread. The spread seems to have stopped. I used a UV sterilizer and low dose salt. (On the healthy inhabitants because I didn’t want to treat my main tank with meds) Sick fish were quarantined and treated with kanaplex. They have all died now though .

The reason Columnaris takes over the fish is stress. Stress lowers the effectiveness of the immune system. In this case the issue is probably the stress of transport and the difficulty acclimatising to an unfamiliar environment and conditions.

Spread to established residents of a community is concerning and could mean these fish were already stressed or a virulent strain of bacterium is present which is able to overcome a healthy immune system.

There are too many variables to be certain of what you are dealing with and how easy it will be to recover from. There are different strains of Columnaris with different levels of virulence and host utilisation and different stages of its escape from normal immune system control. These all affect recovery.

I have tended to have faith on my ability to provide good conditions for my fish and have accepted some losses in the knowledge that things will get better and my aquarium will recover from the setback.

I am careful where I purchase my fish from and check that the retailer is not suffering losses in the display tank. I generally keep longer-lived fish and minimise new introductions. I do keep Cardinal Tetras which live only a few years (4-5 in captivity, often annual in the wild). Luckily, I have found a reliable supplier of healthy Cardinals who have sound biosecurity and acclimatisation procedures.

Chemical applications I have found to be unhelpful and even damaging, tempting though it is to look for a magic cure in a bottle. I have not found good examples of Columnaris being cured by others to give much hope here.

All the fish affected were long term established residents.
I think I discovered the stressor. I had not done a water change in a long time. my heavily planted tank was absorbing nitrates and keeping it at 20ppm. I think the lack of water changes lowered my alkalinity over time . PH had dropped to about 6 as well .
By doing a 60% water change it must have shocked the fish. and the next day columnaris smacked my tank. I think the stressor was the water change and the shock of the increased alkalinity and pH (to 7.2). Columnaris had been introduced to my tank by a LFS fish which I quickly took back Two weeks ago, and it must have remained dormant in my tank until the shocking water change. All infected fish have since died but no further fish seem to be displaying any symptoms . In total I lost 7 bettas . It’s strange that in a community tank with angels , bettas, rasboras, Cory’s rams and barbs. Only the bettas were affected.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
LowConductivity
Replies
Views
BettasAreSuperior
Replies
Views
Lucy
Replies