Columnaris Experiences?

Mickeycricky

I feel like crying

My worst nightmare has come true, and I have a Columnaris outbreak in my 29 gallon tank. I am overwhelmed by the different medications used to treat it. In a matter of a week, I've lost two Otocinclus catfish, and my beloved platy has two spots on her head that are quickly increasing in size. I'm new to this, and the research I have done online seems to be very wishy washy.

I am planning on dosing the entire tank with Kanaplex and Furan-2. I've read the pinned forum here, and that is the medication recommendation that I have seen the most of on other sites. It seems like it yields good results as well. Has anyone personally used these two meds together? Was it successful for you? Are the meds going to completely crash my cycle? Kill my snails? My shrimp? I want to quarantine my ailing platy, but I'm worried that it will severely stress her out and be more detrimental than helpful. It's already infected my tank, so I feel the need to treat the entire thing. Is this practical? I'm just looking for other people's experiences to hopefully help me feel a little better about this whole thing, and will take any advice I can get.

I'm planning on following this regime that I found on a couple websites:
Day 1: Dose Kanaplex and Furan-2
Day 2: Furan-2 only
Day 3: 25% water change, dose Kanaplex and Furan-2
Day 4: Furan-2 only
Day 5: 25% water change, dose Kanaplex and Furan-2

A201

Meds rarely cure Columnaris. IMO, the best course of action is to remove the infected fish asap, and either medicate in a QT tank or euthanize.
Do a big 50% water change, keep the tank clean, feed sparingly, and try to save the remaining tankmates.
Antibiotics can put a big dent in the benificial bacteria, and could potentially cause an ammonia spike.
Don't panic, you'll get through this and things will get better.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Holly89
Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
ap4lmtree
Replies
Views