Columnaris Disease In Rummy Nose Tetras?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by redman77, May 7, 2019.

1. redman77

redman77Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    1 year
    Some background: I have a 75 gallon planted tank, and finished a fishless cycle a week ago. Temperature was around 80. Water parameters are 0 0 and 10. Only other inhabitants are nerite snails

I added 11 Rummy Nose Tetras to my tank on Saturday. They are my first fish additions. At least three have died with a fourth who looks unhealthy. I noticed one day after adding them that a few had white marks on the side of their bodies (most behind the dorsal fin, but one closer up front), and did some research and think it may be Columnaris.

I've attached a picture of the first one that died, showing the white (this is the one who had the white closer up the body, which turned redish; the others were behind the dorsal fin and remained white).

Is this Columnaris?

If so, were they probably infected at my LFS, or could they have caught it in one day from my tank?

What can I do to avoid this in the future?

What treatment should I use?

Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks!

RNT.

2. Sarcasm Included

Sarcasm IncludedWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +692
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    Yes, columnaris
    The bacteria is common in most tanks, so I wouldn't worry about were the bacteria came from.
    To avoid it in the future, take preventative measures to reduce stress on the fish when introducing. Turn off the lights for the first day, plant cover (even floating plastic plants helps) and anything else they can hide with but still be visible to you.
    Quarantine the fish, it helps prevent the spread of disease and reduces the stress of not having another fish defending it's territory around.
    To treat, remove any with symptoms to a QT and treat with Kanamycin or Kanamycin and Furan 2. The fish in the picture will probably not survive, sorry.

3. Letsfish

LetsfishWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +234
    Experience:
    Just started
    A couple of years ago I lost a bunch of Rummy`s and Cardinals to Columnaris I think but to this day I`m not really sure.I treated them with Furan2 and Kanaplex.Being that your tank is a new set up treat them there and after treatment do a water change and add carbon to your filter to remove any lingering meds.

Last edited: May 7, 2019