Columbian Tetras are super aggressive intra-species!!

AquariumX

I bought a school of ten about a month ago, put into a 55g tank with an Angel and a pair of Keyholes. One of the fish was missing an eye. (Likely removed by one of its compatriots.) I thought it was doing well and eating, but a week later it was dead. Nine. It wasn't schooling like the others, I thought because it didn't have the same field of vision.

Here we are a month on and most of the little piranhas have shredded fins from fighting each other. They don't bother the cichlids and will get out of their way. But they are super aggressive against each other. Two of them can often be found hiding in the amazon swords, while the main groups is in the center of the tank.

I put them through a quarantine protocal with anti parasite and anti bacterial. I think they are healthy, just a bit crazy.

Just an FYI. They are really aggressive against their own. They did not bother old Neon Tetras in the QT.

SouthAmericanCichlids

I bought a school of ten about a month ago, put into a 55g tank with an Angel and a pair of Keyholes. One of the fish was missing an eye. (Likely removed by one of its compatriots.) I thought it was doing well and eating, but a week later it was dead. Nine. It wasn't schooling like the others, I thought because it didn't have the same field of vision.

Here we are a month on and most of the little piranhas have shredded fins from fighting each other. They don't bother the cichlids and will get out of their way. But they are super aggressive against each other. Two of them can often be found hiding in the amazon swords, while the main groups is in the center of the tank.

I put them through a quarantine protocal with anti parasite and anti bacterial. I think they are healthy, just a bit crazy.

Just an FYI. They are really aggressive against their own.
Yeah, I agree, very aggressive against each other, but I haven't seen the loss of eyes or SEVERLY torn fins, though always at least some. But I would suggest maybe providing them with more cover and things to hide by.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
TexasDomer
  • Brandon Bennett
  • Tetras
Replies
Views
Stuart42
Replies
Views
mattgirl