Columbian Shark

oscarlover34

Valued Member
Reaction score
I am thinking about getting a Columbian Shark,I heard they need salt,I was wondering if this would be good , Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Aquarium Salt ?...heres the description ..An all natural salt, made from evaporated sea water. Helps improve gill function to reduce stress. Reduces electrolyte loss, promotes healthy gill function and temporarily blocks nitrite toxicity. Contains the seven electrolytes necessary to maintain healthy freshwater fish. Can be used with most aquarium remedies to improve recovery from disease. Use as directed with each water change....Does that sound ok?

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Columbian sharks require very large tanks as they get in excess of 14" long. They require brackish water and that means marine salt, not aquarium salt. They need a good bit of water current, too, and are pretty aggressive and predatory. You'll also need a skimmer and either a hydrometer or refractometer to measure the specific gravity to get the right amount of salt (SG should be 1.005-1.015). These are not normally recommended for aquariums, especially not for the new aquarist.

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
But could a Columbian shark still not live in an aquariums with aquarium salt? The people at the lfs said that the shark would only become more prone to diseases though.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I may be wrong but I think marine salt has iodine in it and aquarium salt does not. So if the fish needs marine salt it wolud need that iodine.
This fish needs a reeeeaally big aquarium
Carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The people at the lfs also said that with the size of my tank, it will only grow to double its current size.
Tom

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
See my reply in the seprae thread I think your LFS is feeding you a line to get you to buy fish. sorry but some of them are that way.
Carol

Butterfly

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Did you get a chance to check out the link on Clown Loaches i sent you? They are gorgeous fish but can get huge if provided optimum conditions. They are used as food fishes in their native habitat.
carol

Tom

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sorry. Ya I did see it. I agree, they are beautiful. Thanks.
Tom

Gozer_1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I have 3 Beautiful Columbian Sharks. Black Fin Shark as I bought them. They are 5 ,7 and 9 inches in a 55 gal. species specific tank. They are being adapted to a fully marine environment. I'm a very experienced freshwater keeper. I have raised them small and large. These "sharks" will be my first venture into Marine fish. I am looking for suggestions on tankmates. They will eventually be living in a 150gal tank. I'm looking for fish, invertebrates, crustaceans. I'm particularly interested in anemones and their fish friends. Would they coexist well. The "sharks" will be very large, 20". Are there anemone fish big enough to not get munched by a ,sometimes very predatory, "shark". Feeder goldfish dissappear in minutes. Only my Oscar could give them competition in eating. When they were younger, they lived with in freshwater with a crawdad. Never showed any interest so I think crustaceans are safe.

sharkman

Reaction score
Gozer_1 said:
I have 3 Beautiful Columbian Sharks. Black Fin Shark as I bought them. They are 5 ,7 and 9 inches in a 55 gal. species specific tank. They are being adapted to a fully marine environment. I'm a very experienced freshwater keeper. I have raised them small and large. These "sharks" will be my first venture into Marine fish. I am looking for suggestions on tankmates. They will eventually be living in a 150gal tank. I'm looking for fish, invertebrates, crustaceans. I'm particularly interested in anemones and their fish friends. Would they coexist well. The "sharks" will be very large, 20". Are there anemone fish big enough to not get munched by a ,sometimes very predatory, "shark". Feeder goldfish dissappear in minutes. Only my Oscar could give them competition in eating. When they were younger, they lived with in freshwater with a crawdad. Never showed any interest so I think crustaceans are safe.

Crustaceans are the way to go! ive done the same thing. the may get along with other fish but the tank must be atleast 300 gal for that so for now i woud say the three of them in the 15ogal is nice

appraiser1979

Reaction score
I've got a new col. shark in a 10 gallon tank. I've been using a small amount of aquarium salt. can this work? If so, how should I mantaine the tank for this?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom