Columbian shark won't eat!!!!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by I love my puffer, Aug 5, 2014.

1. I love my puffer

I love my pufferValued MemberMember

please help! my Colombian shark also known as the black fin shark won't eat! he has been lying down and only swims around a occasionally. Hes about 4-5 in. he has one other tank mate, another Columbian shark. I bought him a few days ago he is healthy and happy and is swimming around eating normally and both look to be very healthy. I have had this shark for a few months and he has been fine. I am going to test the water parameters and write an update in a few hours I will also tried to load a picture of him. he is currently in a 20 gallon tank and yes I know he will need a much bigger tank. I am looking into a 300 gallon. sorry if this sounds rude but please don't tell me I need to send them back to the local fish store or something because I have done lots of research on these fish and know how to take care of them well. I just need to figure out why my older Columbian shark won't eat:'( I am also planning to add a third shark since I know they are schooling fish. I currently feed both fish wardleys shrimp pellets(sinking) but plan to expand there diet. please help!

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2018
  2. Coradee

CoradeeModeratorModerator Member

Colombian sharks need brackish water, they're only freshwater for a short time as youngsters, that could be why it isn't eating as it's stressed with being in freshwater & also being in such a small tank.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  3. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

He is currently. In brackish water. With a SG of 1.012. I know he will need a much bigger tank. I am trying to save up money to upgrade ASAP . Any tips or suggestions? I can upload more pics if needed. Will get water parameters and update in a few hours:) thanks, i love my puffer

4. Coradee

Try feeding some live or frozen food such as bloodworms or brine shrimp to tempt him, also try leaving the lights off for a while.
    You could also lower the salinity a little, most people I've seen tend to keep them between 1.005-1.010 as youngsters, do it very slowly though to avoid stressing the fish more.

5. ricmcc

ricmccWell Known MemberMember

As you bought the new shark just a few days ago, I would follow Coradee 's advise, and provide more room and brackish water.
    If you can get a large enough tank, they would do well wish scats, archer fish, , but that is my wish, not yours'-rick In a mangrove tank, btw:)
    I also wish for the Bolton Wanderers to somehow win the Euro's, so take what I dream of with a largish grain, or better, an entire salt lick, pls:), just in the parts that apply to football or Bolton, the home of soap or Lever Bros..
    Sorry, what was your question? kidding, sorry, larger quarters always seem to help when adding fish, especially if one is suddenly shy--hides, plants included, also help.------Best to you, rick

6. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

Awesome! Will go get that now. Thank you so much! Will update soon!:)

7. OP
    OP
    I love my puffer

So happy! Turned lights and fan off before I left for my Lfs and came back with frozen brine shrimp! They were swimming around! They went nuts and LOVED it! I will start feeding this to all my fish ( 1 GSP, platinum Molly,red ruby barb, 2 sharks,African clawed frog) thank you sooooooooo much! Will keep you updated:)
    thanks,
    i love my puffer

8. Coradee

Glad they seem more active now & are feeding, look forward to seeing pics of them when you get the bigger tank :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice