Columbian shark hitting his face in the gravel.

ddj

Reaction score
Hi, my catfish has started slamming his head into the gravel every now and then and then sometimes jumps upwards when swimming, could he be trying to find food using his barbels when he hits the gravel?, im not sure why he jumps upwards randomly though while swimming.

OP
ddj

ddj

Reaction score
I have an api masterkit I phoned them and they said it’s the right kit for brackish water but it never registers anything, the colours are always the default so I’m waiting until I have some money to get the marine lab kit, on top of that my new reverse osmosis kit broke so I’m waiting for the replacement parts so it’s not going great, I also have a Seachem ammonia badge so I monitor that as soon as it slightly changes colour I add Seachem prime to detoxify it, it’s hard to get a video because they do it randomly and if I get close the get scared so they swim off but I will try.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
daviem said:
I have an api masterkit I phoned them and they said it’s the right kit for brackish water but it never registers anything, the colours are always the default so I’m waiting until I have some money to get the marine lab kit, on top of that my new reverse osmosis kit broke so I’m waiting for the replacement parts so it’s not going great, I also have a Seachem ammonia badge so I monitor that as soon as it slightly changes colour I add Seachem prime to detoxify it, it’s hard to get a video because they do it randomly and if I get close the get scared so they swim off but I will try.
To be honest with you my bala shark occasionally does this and has calmed down since I added to more of her type, maybe get another one?
From what i recall they get fairly big so depends on how big your tank is.
Does he have pop eye or has he had pop eye ever before?
My bala has and I'm afraid it may have blinded her right eye partially or fully...just throwing out circumstances at you see if anything fits.

OP
ddj

ddj

Reaction score
Theres more than one of them, theyre babies still and the aquariums is large, they dont have pop eye, im sorry about your Bala shark I hope shes doing ok? I did have bala sharks before but ich killed them in my tropical aquarium. Plus that aquarium wasnt very big so it spread badly.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Maybe the Specific Gravity of the water is off. Check your Hydrometer & make sure it registers between 1.0004 & 1.0226, true brackish levels.

OP
ddj

ddj

Reaction score
Sorry my last reply didnt post for some reason here it is "Theres 2 of them, theyre babies still and the aquariums is large, they dont have pop eye, im sorry about your Bala shark I hope shes doing ok? I did have bala sharks before but ich killed them in my tropical aquarium. Plus that aquarium wasnt very big so it spread"

OP
ddj

ddj

Reaction score
Heres an update to the situation, both seem to smach their heads slightly into the gravel I think theyre looking for food, they do this more after I feed them it appears, I have noticed a problem though, one keeps on trying to nip the other, I purchased an aquarium large enough for 2 when theyre adults, now Im worried from what I read online I should have gotten 3, does anyone know if a third would calm the situation down regarding one trying to nip the other? as I think 3 would be too many for the aquarium when theyre adults. The salinity is 1.006 as theyre small still, I will slowly increase it as they grow, and carry out my water change asap if the replacement parts ever arrive from finerfilters for the faulty reverse osmosis kit.

Wrench

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
daviem said:
Heres an update to the situation, both seem to smach their heads slightly into the gravel I think theyre looking for food, they do this more after I feed them it appears, I have noticed a problem though, one keeps on trying to nip the other, I purchased an aquarium large enough for 2 when theyre adults, now Im worried from what I read online I should have gotten 3, does anyone know if a third would calm the situation down regarding one trying to nip the other? as I think 3 would be too many for the aquarium when theyre adults. The salinity is 1.006 as theyre small still, I will slowly increase it as they grow, and carry out my water change asap if the replacement parts ever arrive from finerfilters for the faulty reverse osmosis kit.
Generally 3 is rule of thumb to spread aggression.

OP
ddj

ddj

Reaction score
I was considering getting a 3rd one but what if two set on one, wont the more timid fish be in a worse situation? or is it common between two for this to occur.

New Threads