columbian shark died, fish ill

coderbanna

one of my columbian shark was like sitting on the bottom, floating with current sometimes and sometimes swimming, then after some time she like became just floating, angels starting picking on him, and then today she died. what can be the reason?

19jimmy17

I just read the link that your post made and it seems like they need salt water as they get bigger to survive, is it in a saltwater tank

coderbanna

other sharks are surviving like say for more than 3 weeks no problem, it only happened to that shark, all my fish are babies now. no one is big.

19jimmy17

Did you test your water for any ammonia or anything....if you just got them it could have just been one of the weaker fish in the bunch and he just wasn't going to make

junebug

The columbian shark is meant to be in brackish water as a juvenile. Not surprising it died in fresh water.

jayronald

maybe with the chlorine of water the reason she died

coderbanna

my water is brakish, cause I had putting salt on regular basis, I am treating my fish for ick, I think she was too weak to live

junebug

Adding aquarium salt (which is the only salt you can use with freshwater fish to treat ICH) is not the same thing as having brackish water. Are the rest of your fish freshwater fish, or brackish? How much salt have you added and what size tank is it? What are your water parameters? How are you going about treating the ICH?

Please fill out your profile so we can answer your questions more effectively.

Heros severus

coderbanna

the fish store I have here does not have good professionals , they don't know much, they just sell fishes, all their tanks have ick, I am putting 1 spoon salt per gallon, have 23 gallon tank, removed most of the gravel until ick is healed, temperature is set on 26-27 C, stopped the HOB filter because of carbon and internal sponge filter running, putting regular 5ml dosage of ick medication for last two days. lets see.

Dondomingo

The best thing you can do is research the biotopes, or living conditions to each one of your fishes via Google or Books. A ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure (see, second time I've said that today..)

Even if your store does not have professionals, in all due respect, it's your responsibility to research the fish you plan on caring for. If you haven't done so yet , download the Fishlore book on Freshwater Fish https://www.fishlore.com/freshwater-aquarium-book.htm

Asking questions as you are doing is the next step

I noticed they asked to have you fill out your profile to help with further questions. You haven't done so yet. Please go to the "Settings tab" then look for "Edit profile" on the left hand side. Fill out the information regarding your Fish Aquarium etc.

Thank you.

coderbanna

filled profile, I don't have access to test kits, ordering one today, might get some days to get to me, my earlier some fishes died from fin rot type thing. now I have fin rot medication, so in short I am still struggling to keep my fish alive instead of enjoying them live.

junebug

You're going to continue to have all sorts of problems with that many and those fish in that size tank. A 23 gallon, unfortunately, isn't an appropriate size for any one of the fish you have, let alone all of them together. You also have mixed tropical fish with coldwater and temperate fish.

I'd suggest taking all of them back to the store where you bought them and purchasing some fish that are an appropriate size for your tank, and that are compatible with each other.

Dondomingo

Junebug has sound advice, I'm sorry to say. Having those types of fish in a tank that size is a battle you won't win. In the end you'll be more frustrated than happy.

Take for example; the sharks are going to get way to big for that tank size I'm afraid. The Red Tailed shark will be 6" by time he's done growing. Besides, they're should only be one shark per tank of those types.

Once they grow, one of them will turn to be the alpha shark and he'll kill the rest.

The KoI alone usually are reserved for ponds or 100 Gallon plus tanks. Your gold fish depending on the breed could grow bigger than your tank allows.

Depending on the type of Pleco you have, as some of them can grow 18 " long, two of them in a tank of that size is just too much I'm afraid.

Then comes the angel fish.

I know this isn't the answer you were hoping for, but I can only hope that maybe you'll realize we only want what is best for you and the fish.

I would take the fish back to the store and purchase smaller fish.

For a 23 gallon tank I would stay with Tetra's, Guppies, danio's, endlers, or any of the smaller breed fish. You can get a few schools of 5-6 each and be quite happy with the results.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom