Columaris In A Young Leopard Danio? No One Will Help? Waiting On Responces

DirtyEw0k
So my husband is new to the hobby and his tank had one baby danio in it and it was finally big enough for more fish. We quarantined the other fish for a month before adding. I was planning 2 months because the baby was my husbands first fish raised from an egg but we got a lot of grief about it being too long and that they needed to be added for the baby so we did. Wish I followed my instincts now.

A week later one of the leopard danios has a giant white bump on his lip. I’m pretty sure its columaris because a Rasbora in my tank had it years ago on his forehead. Sadly he passed. I can add a picture but I warn you they are hard to take pictures of. Out of like 30 only a few turned out

Dosing plan:

My plan is to give it furan-2 and kanaplex. I don’t know how long this fish has had it so I thought it safer to dose the whole tank. Should I do both at the same time or one after another? I’d love sone advice. Mine died back then and i’m not sure if it was just too far along or bad dosing.

Now on the lip do you think its better to euthanize the little guy? I read it can make it hard fir them to eat and breathe and can possibly get into the gills which makes us sad. What a way for my husband to start out in the hobby. He was so sure I was a nerite snail egg.

Oh we do have 2 nerites and 2 amanos in thus tank. We’ve discussed this. He wants to keep them in. He is worried the stress might kill them anyways and we are dosing the quarantine that still has fish in it so there's no where for them to go unfortunately. I could put them in mine but I don’t wanna risk contamination from the water.

IMG_3490.JPG

IMG_3492.JPG

IMG_3500.JPG

Gypsy13
Hey. Rough patch. Euthanize this poor wee one. I’m so sorry. I love danios. My heart goes out to you.
Here is the dosing schedule for kanaplex/furan2 for columnaris:

12EC468C-A6F7-4B8D-AE48-3C3D11C2022D.jpeg

Any questions. Ask.

DirtyEw0k
Hey. Rough patch. Euthanize this poor wee one. I’m so sorry. I love danios. My heart goes out to you.
Here is the dosing schedule for kanaplex/furan2 for columnaris:
View attachment 474681

Any questions. Ask.

thank you so much! just out of curiosity why only the one med the second day?
also, they were sharing a quarantine with some ember tetras that are definitely stayin in there for a very long time now but we put the doses in that tank as well as a precaution because we didn't know when this first started and if they could have been affected. if they aren't showing symptoms should I continue doses in the quarantine or do you think the one dose would be enough?

after the embers are eventually moved would it be safest to bleach out that tank and replace gravel you think since that tank is a quarantine for both our show tanks?

Gypsy13
thank you so much! just out of curiosity why only the one med the second day?
also, they were sharing a quarantine with some ember tetras that are definitely stayin in there for a very long time now but we put the doses in that tank as well as a precaution because we didn't know when this first started and if they could have been affected. if they aren't showing symptoms should I continue doses in the quarantine or do you think the one dose would be enough?

after the embers are eventually moved would it be safest to bleach out that tank and replace gravel you think since that tank is a quarantine for both our show tanks?

It’s a treatment course so you won’t reap any benefits if you don’t continue the treatment in the qt too if there’s any chance they could be affected. This treatment course was put together to most closely match the dosing amounts in **** Spectrogram (which is being produced again). It’s very very effective against columnaris and a lot of others too. Kanamycin stays effective longer than furan2.
It just breaks my heart about the danio. My longfin leopard is still all alone. I couldn’t find anymore and just when I decided to try buying online, I got the whole Tb thing going. Have you euthanized him?

DirtyEw0k
I am sorry to hear about your fish. I hope you can find some longfins. My LFS will order in anything we want. Have you tried asking them if they can order? I have so many in my area. Petland is amazing. the main lady there is knowledgeable and actually gives advice and isn't afraid to tell you what won't work with your community even if its a more expensive fish. mr pets the lady there is amazing with water knowledge. she helped me when I found out I had no kh/gh in my tap water. gave me all kinds of advice on what to use when I couldn't get crushed coral right away. J&L Aquatics is strickly saltwater but they are an independent store and will order almost anything in for equipment you need even for freshwater and sell every type of fish meds there is. That's actually where I found the crushed coral. it was mr pets that told me to go there. I didn't know they existed before that. there fish are amazing!! They have so many salt water displays that are for sale with fish and all. if you don't wanna put together your community and just want it done lol. We have petsmart but they suck. they use strips to test water and tested mine wrong too lol that was back when I had my kg/gh issue. I never trust them for anything. they told me crushed coral even in small amounts in a filter would kill my freshwater fish lol

He hasn't euthanized yet. He says it's really active and eats and he just can't do it yet. I have told him the longer you keep him in there the bigger the chances it will spread. He's seen me go through the meds routine too. Only problem was I have a 36 gallon that's well planted and that fish just didn't wanna die. it took me over a month to catch him. When I finally caught him he barely tried to escape my net. He was just done. RIP little Rasbora

on a happy note the shrimp and snails all seem happy so far

Gypsy13
Start treatment ASAP if you haven’t. He may be able to recover if he’s still eating. When I listened to your post I thought you were saying it was in his gills too. I just relistened cause he wouldn’t be eating and all active if it had spread to his gills.

Oh. And I can’t get more fish because of the Tb.
We have 1 small mom n pop. He’s been sliding more and more into reptiles and small exotics. There’s a saltwater place 40 minutes away. They don’t have time for freshwater. And we have 1 Petco 1 petsmart. Both 30 minutes away in opposite directions. And petsmart may as well stop even talking fish. They’ve got nothing.
I really want this little one to make it.

DirtyEw0k
Start treatment ASAP if you haven’t. He may be able to recover if he’s still eating. When I listened to your post I thought you were saying it was in his gills too. I just relistened cause he wouldn’t be eating and all active if it had spread to his gills.

We've started it. We actually put the first dose in before we got your responce. Its not in the gills. The pictures I sent actually make it look worse than it is I think. Taking a closer look it looks like the bump is just above the mouth. But it would be nice if this clears up. This fish is actually a huge pig too on top of that. My husband fed his fish today and this fish tried to steal like half the food. I was almost worried he'd get too bloated from over eating lol I am just about to give them their second dose.

Tb is really scary. One day I had a talk about diseases with my reg fish lady after my rasbora had columaris. The one thing hse did tell me is to watch for it with danios because it can be a lot more common with them. they usually tend to get arches in their backs and to wear gloves when cleaning the tank because on a rare occasion it has been known to spread to people and to completely sanitize the area and sinks after cleaning the tank. I hope you are being careful.

Gypsy13
We've started it. We actually put the first dose in before we got your responce. Its not in the gills. The pictures I sent actually make it look worse than it is I think. Taking a closer look it looks like the bump is just above the mouth. But it would be nice if this clears up. This fish is actually a huge pig too on top of that. My husband fed his fish today and this fish tried to steal like half the food. I was almost worried he'd get too bloated from over eating lol I am just about to give them their second dose.

Tb is really scary. One day I had a talk about diseases with my reg fish lady after my rasbora had columaris. The one thing hse did tell me is to watch for it with danios because it can be a lot more common with them. they usually tend to get arches in their backs and to wear gloves when cleaning the tank because on a rare occasion it has been known to spread to people and to completely sanitize the area and sinks after cleaning the tank. I hope you are being careful.

Yeah. It was my carelessness that allowed th Tb into my tank in the first place. I know better than lots about the precautions needed when dealing with Tb. Why it’s so heartbreakingly frustrating that I didn’t think. And my danios, snail and corys are negative so far. Some of my guppies and 1 WCMM so far are positive.

Keep us posted on this little one? Please?

JB92668
sorry your going through this there isn't much u can do to fix it calamanaris is the worst to treat u can treat with machete green or meathaine blue but by the looks of it it won't help much sorry

DirtyEw0k
sorry your going through this there isn't much u can do to fix it calamanaris is the worst to treat u can treat with machete green or meathaine blue but by the looks of it it won't help much sorry
Thank you for your kind words. Never heard of using Malachite Green or methylene blue. isn't that a fungus treatment? This is bacterial. I'm doing furan 2 and kanaplex but I'll read up on using that too.

JB92668
your welcome and yes the tretments I said are used for fungus but will all so help with calamanaris in your cause the fish has mouth fungus and that's a sighn of calamanaris I haven't heard of your treatments befor but happy to help u cheers john

DirtyEw0k
your welcome and yes the tretments I said are used for fungus but will all so help with calamanaris in your cause the fish has mouth fungus and that's a sighn of calamanaris I haven't heard of your treatments befor but happy to help u cheers john

This post is pinned in the diseases section

Columnaris Symptoms And Treatment

It does actually say your suggestion can be an option if the stuff i’m using isn’t available. I am lucky tho. A lfs sells every medicine in existance so I never have to worry about finding meds

Gypsy13

It does actually say your suggestion can be an option if the stuff i’m using isn’t available. I am lucky tho. A lfs sells every medicine in existance so I never have to worry about finding meds

How is the little one today?

DirtyEw0k
Gypsy13
Still happy and eating. It looks like there is less around the mouth but its still there

JB92668
your welcome mate happy to help u cheers john

Gypsy13
Gypsy13
Still happy and eating. It looks like there is less around the mouth but its still there

Less is good. Gone better but as long as it’s not more, he’s got a chance anyway. C’mon Danio!

DirtyEw0k
Less is good. Gone better but as long as it’s not more, he’s got a chance anyway. C’mon Danio!

Shes just got this little tiny pump on the tip of her nose now but it is barely visible. You gotta look so hard to see it

Oh and both snails and shrimp are doing great. I was so wirried about leaving them in during this treatment but they were some tough invertebrates!

Gypsy13
I’ve never had trouble with inverts and this treatment. I am glad **** Spectrogram is available again though. No mixing or worrying about getting the furan2 into the kanaplex at just the right time. Both truly work better together.
Post pics of this amazing trooper when you can.

DirtyEw0k
I’ve never had trouble with inverts and this treatment. I am glad **** Spectrogram is available again though. No mixing or worrying about getting the furan2 into the kanaplex at just the right time. Both truly work better together.
Post pics of this amazing trooper when you can.

i'll try but as you know danios are very fast swimmers LOL

Gypsy13
I’ll be checking with peeps to see how the little danio is doing. Please keep posting.
Y’all will be in my thoughts and heart everyday.
Take care.

Goldiemom can help if you need someone quick. If she can’t, she knows who can.

DirtyEw0k
I’ll be checking with peeps to see how the little danio is doing. Please keep posting.
Y’all will be in my thoughts and heart everyday.
Take care.

Goldiemom can help if you need someone quick. If she can’t, she knows who can.

awesome thank you for all your help

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies
Views
coralbandit
Top Bottom