Colour Change On Betta. Should I Be Concerned?

Drew97

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I currently own a male Betta fish that I have owned for over 1 year. Sometime over the summer when he was being taken care of by my family he developed a dark red spot near his head and I was not aware until lately. He has also changed from his normal red colour to having an almost shiny blue stripe in his fin. Just this week I also noticed that on top of the dark red spot is now also turning the shiny blue along with one spot near his chin. Are these colour changes normal? His appetite hasn't changed in the slightest, he still looks like he would eat all day if I let him. He is still very active when we are in the room and doesn't seem to have changed in any way.

He is currently in a 3.5 gallon tank with a tetra filter as well as a preset heater which keeps the water around 78 degrees + or - a degree. He gets fed 2 pellets in the am and 1 pellet in the pm. I have been doing weekly water changes and he seems to be doing well. I don't currently have a water testing kit and won't be able to get one for a while.
Any help is appreciated!

I have attached pictures to show the colour changes.
IMG_0731.JPG
IMG_0733.JPG
IMG_0734.JPG

jacob thompson

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Betta genetics have a gene called the marble gene that causes color change with age, I would get your water tested at a local fish or pet store they usually offer free water tests and if everything comes back good than it’s just natural color change.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom