Coloring up juvenile male

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have a crappy photo attached of him.
I’m convinced my sunshine peacock is a male by looking at fin shape and I was assured by a knowledge, so he sounded, pet store staff. But he’s a little over 2” and he’s got no face color what so ever. I have a few 1.5” juvies in there aswell and they are already showing facial coloring. He’s in a 55gal with about 5 other males (peacocks and mbuna). Have I been mislead or is there something I can do to boost his coloring?

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
When did you get it? The fin shapes doesn't scream male to me but of course it is but a baby. IME all males start getting color on their gill plates first.

Supposedly, many African cichlids are hormone fed at the fish farms, this improves color on males and can even make females appear like males which means they sell better. These "juiced" fish often lose their bright colors after being off the hormone treatments. I bought a similarly colored peacock thinking it had great potential. The color faded after a couple weeks and it ended up being a female. A better way to tell the gender is by venting. It'e much easier to do it on larger fish but 2in should be ok if you know what to look for. One hole larger than the other is female, 2 holes the same size is male.

As for improving color, keeping the water in check and feeding high quality foods is always a good thing for body condition and vibrant colors. There are also cichlid salts you can buy but I've never felt the need to use them.

OP
E

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
When did you get it? The fin shapes doesn't scream male to me but of course it is but a baby. IME all males start getting color on their gill plates first.

Supposedly, many African cichlids are hormone fed at the fish farms, this improves color on males and can even make females appear like males which means they sell better. These "juiced" fish often lose their bright colors after being off the hormone treatments. I bought a similarly colored peacock thinking it had great potential. The color faded after a couple weeks and it ended up being a female. A better way to tell the gender is by venting. It'e much easier to do it on larger fish but 2in should be ok if you know what to look for. One hole larger than the other is female, 2 holes the same size is male.

As for improving color, keeping the water in check and feeding high quality foods is always a good thing for body condition and vibrant colors. There are also cichlid salts you can buy but I've never felt the need to use them.
He was bought about a month ago maybe? If I can catch him/she I’ll try to see what it looks like.

OP
E

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:

It looks to be one hole but I may be overlooking the other. I’m not the best at this lol

Attachments

Demeter

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yeah I can't tell either, my goodness that fish looks much smaller than I thought. Give it another inch of growing and if you still aren't sure on gender then try venting again.

In the end, time will tell. If it doesn't start producing eggs after the 2.5-3in range then it is probably a male.

OP
E

esims12

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Demeter said:
Yeah I can't tell either, my goodness that fish looks much smaller than I thought. Give it another inch of growing and if you still aren't sure on gender then try venting again.

In the end, time will tell. If it doesn't start producing eggs after the 2.5-3in range then it is probably a male.
Okay, thanks for the help!

New Threads