Coloring Or Disease? Help

1. 0_kay

0_kay New Member Member

Recently my Betta has gotten these red patches on his head, and I haven't really found much about a cause through google searches. Is this just his coloring or should I be concerned? I know Bettas can change color as they age... I was also concerned about his fins, as they seem almost twisted and are gray at the base. He did have what I think was fin rot a while ago but I treated him for it and his fins have grown back. I have attached pictures of him, but he's very active, so the pictures are blurry, sorry. Oh and also, from taking pictures up close I have noticed he has a few dark gray spots on his body. It looks similar to pieces of dirt? This one is about 2-3 years old and is one of the first I've kept seriously, so I guess I'm fairly knew to Betta keeping, at least in the disease aspect, so any and all help or criticism is appreciated! Thank you! IMG_2377.JPG IMG_2382.JPG IMG_2384.JPG IMG_2387.JPG

2. PrincessBettafish

PrincessBettafish New Member Member

There's actually a disease for freshwater fish called hole in the head where lesions can appear on the fish's head. Have you looked into that at all?

3. OP
    OP
    0_kay

0_kay New Member Member

The spots aren't indented or raised at all, though.

4. S

Sina-key Valued Member Member

Can’t really help just want say I like your betta coloring it is kind of albino

5. Ari840

Ari840 Valued Member Member

I would say if he is behaving normally, it’s probably just his coloring. I’ve had fish change colors due to water quality/adding new things into tank. Just keep his water clean and monitor him. But he looks happy and healthy otherwise!

6. Ari840

How’s he doing?!

7. OP
    OP
    0_kay

0_kay New Member Member

Thanks! I fell in love with him as soon as I saw him!

8. OP
    OP
    0_kay

0_kay New Member Member

As far as I can tell he's doing completely fine. He eats well and is active!

9. Repolie

Repolie Valued Member Member

It just looks like his colouring. He's a koi betta and he might have the marble gene which makes him change colours.

10. OP
    OP
    0_kay

0_kay New Member Member

That's what I was thinking, it just seemed odd that he only got it on his head. Thanks for clarification!

11. Repolie

Repolie Valued Member Member

No problem.

12. Ari840

I’m so happy to hear he’s a gorgeous little guy!