Colorful Tank Help!!

Skye
Let's say I'm starting completely fresh with a new tank, no fish.

What kind of freshwater fish can I get that will make my tank colorful? What goes good together?

Basically, design me a tank LOL

Have to be accessible from a common pet store, and be fairly easy maintenance.

I just want color!! Help!! LOL

Howeyg
well if you put in enough effort you could get a tank looking great with just plants

what size tank do you have???

I recommend low maitenence german blue ram if you can hold of a couple

manjil
Well u can start with guppies as well. they r colourfull n hardy., n u can choose from wide range of colour.

JMatt1983
if tank size is large,55G+ some african cichlids can add some nice colours, and there are many to chose from, also gouramies can be very colourful, if under 55G platies, guppies, dwarf gouramies, swords, rainbowfish, and some tetras can add a lot of colour and excitement into a tank

capekate
Playties are colorful as well and easy to maintain. I wouldnt start a new tank with German Blue Rams tho.. they are not very hardy and need pristine water conditions. Colorful tank can include colored gravel, colored silk or plastic plants with flowers as well as tank decorations. ;D

~ kate

Tom
I would get a well planted tank and a school of cardinals. What size of tank is it for?
Tom

Tom
Or you could go with a well planted tank and get some killifish.
Tom

Howeyg
I wouldnt start a new tank with German Blue Rams tho.. they are not very hardy and need pristine water conditions.
~ kate

wow so if I find german blue rams easy to care for means I'm a pretty good fish keeper then???

COBettaCouple
A tankful of either Livebearers (just males) or Tetras or Barbs would be colorful for any size tank. If the tank is larger, Cichlids would be nice. Oscars or Discus for real big tanks.

Any of these should be commonly found at pet stores.

0morrokh
Yeah livebearers are pretty standard for color. Many shoaling fish are very colorful too. Something colorful but less common would be rainbowfish. One or several gouramis (depending on the species) could make a nice "showpiece" fish. If I had a huge tank and was designing it for color I might get several pearl gouramis, platys and/or guppies, threadfin rainbows, harlequins, several species of tetra, and maybe some hatchetfish and cories for contrast and to fill the space at the top and bottom of the tank.

swords3711
Luckily cheap, colorful and hardy are very common with tropical fish.
tetras, swords, platys, mollies, guppies, and danios are just some of the types. They are just general species but there are a lot of varieties in them. Tetras are probably the best of them all. They are schoolers, cheap and hardy. Swords, platys, mollies and guppies will reproduce alot. Danios aren't quite as colorful but are extremely cheap. Zebra danios are about 88 cents.

BoSox Fan7
Blub
Colourful Tank Help!

Hi!

Dwarf gouramis, Harlequin rasboras, Cherry barbs and most tetras are very colourful. The livebearer family has lots of colour as well.

RogueAgent94
Well... this is my colorful tank!! I had it set up on my desk for nearly 4 years. I'm posting pictures of it now because I was requested to lol. Here's the original discussion,
If you think that's funky gravel you should see my colorful tank!

YOU have a colorful tank? I thought you liked the "natural" look

LOL Yes I do. And you won't believe it ;D. I do prefer the natural look. Would you like me to find a couple of pictures for you?

Sure I do Roguie

Yes please

APColorado
Wow...that is really a colorful tank.

How big is it?

bankruptjojo
wow that is the opposite of natural lol. I usually only go wood and plants but I have been thinking of a zen tank.

Lucy
Looks like jelly beans. lol

Thanks for starting the new thread Rogue.

Magoo
Wow you weren't joking when you said colourful love it it's like a hippy psychedelic tank would love to see more pictures thank you for sharing I guess sometimes we are full of surprises

RogueAgent94
;D Thanks hehe. I LOVED this tank. It was so out of what I usually did that I really enjoyed it. And the barbs were a lot of fun. All those fish were bred by me except for one female who was wild.

It's a 15 gallon I think.... And that's clown puke gravel LOL. I had to buy each color separately and mix them.

Akari_32
Oh dear god! The sad part is, it doesn't actually look that bad LOL

APColorado
OMG...just had a thought, you should get different colored shrimps and put them in this tank.

RogueAgent94
Oh dear god! The sad part is, it doesn't actually look that bad LOL

Course it doesn't!!! I set it up. It looked a lot better in person. And it made absolutely no noise.

You know what's great? The white stones glowed in the dark ;D

OMG...just had a thought, you should get different colored shrimps and put them in this tank.

Lol they'd get eaten. Plus I wouldn't be able to tell their real colors because of the gravel.. Actually... King Kongs and Orange Sakura would have been visible.

Matt B
If I was a circus clown this would totally be how I did all my tanks

Magoo
Clown puke gravel lol you could try marketing that but you may have to work on the name

Any chance of a full tank shot?

It must be such a good feeling to keep, breed successfully and then keep the next generation of fish it's a beautiful thing

Cichlidnut
You are the envy of many a 5 year old

Siggi
Yes!
M&M's....

Lucy
Skittles!

RogueAgent94
Clown puke gravel lol you could try marketing that but you may have to work on the name

Any chance of a full tank shot?

It must be such a good feeling to keep, breed successfully and then keep the next generation of fish it's a beautiful thing

I took this tank down a couple years ago. Those pictures are full tank shots. You just are missing the corners of the tank lol..
You are the envy of many a 5 year old
I bet you would like it if you set it up as well!

Mmbrown
Oh..... my..... gosh XD

ZeeZ
What size tank was this?

You should do another one.

Magoo, it looks like a hippy tank because Rouge IS a hippie.

nyyfan
OMG!! that is WILD!!!

RogueAgent94
;D Thanks!

Zeez: It was a 15 gallon tank I think.

lea
Clown puke - I still laugh every time I hear that

Super funky. Natural is great and all, but I do love the idea that aquariums are so adaptable to any idea.

I'm attempting to re-home an oscar at the moment, and given how they just move everything around i'm inspired now to use clown puke gravel and sink a bunch of plastic (non-toxic of course) kid's toys in the tank, put in a psychadelic backing to make it look like a fish in a toy-box. Knowing oscars, he'll love moving the toys about and it will be fun for the kids to watch, particularly in a rainbow coloured crazy play-room.

I also think those jelly-bean stones would have made a better look in the gumball machine on tanked

Thanks for the inspiration!

midnamoondog
Wow, I love it! I love natural, but this is so fun!

Musey
Super looking tank! What a real eye catcher... somehow, it reminds me of opening up a brand new box of crayola crayons. Just something magical about all those wonderful colors just waiting for you to re-imagine the world with.

wiedow
My room feels dull and empty. I'm lookin for a setup for a 20 gallon tank. Long or generic. I want it to feature a Harlequin rasbora or guppies. I want a colorful tank. What are some good tank set ups?! Please let me know!

bassbonediva
I prefer the long to the tall when it comes to 20gal.

Harlequin rasbora are schooling fish and need to be in groups of six or more. That being said, they would be perfect in a 20gal.

You could do maybe a dwarf gourami for a centerpiece fish, then a school of 8-10 harlequin rasbora, a group of 6 small cories (like panda cories) and a nerite snail.

CLam
You've got room for a school of certain kinds of tetras in a 20 long...lots of them are colorful and peaceful! Maybe also a small gourami (one of the more peaceful species).

Anders247
I agree, long over tall.

I'd do 8 harlequin rasboras, 6 sterbaI cories, a dwarf gourami, and a german blue ram.

bassbonediva
I forgot about this tank! When I first got my 20gal long, I had it set up as a community.

Had a pair of GBRs, a school of 8 black neon tetras, and four peppered cories.

removed

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JamieXPXP
Replies
Views
TexasDomer
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies