Colorful Nano Fish Suggestions 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by FeederGuppies, Aug 22, 2019.

1. FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    I'm looking for an easy, colorful nano fish to add to my 29 gallon. It usually has around 10 female guppies (currently at 4 after a recent parasite outbreak, which has been treated). It also has a cardinal tetra, which I'm either giving to a friend or getting more so it can have a school. Haven't decided yet.
    I was considering peacock gudgeons or killifish but decided I don't want fish that are that hard to keep. Celestial pearl danios look awesome, but I'm not sure if they're like my water, since it's hard and the pH is pretty high. I've also read that they eat shrimp. I'm planning to put red cherry shrimp in that tank, so I'm not sure if that'll work out. Sparkling gouramis are another option I'm interested in. Not sure how easy they are to keep.

2. MissNoodle

MissNoodle Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +797
    Ive read sparkling gouramis are one needing a mature tank, but not much else complicating anything...

What about a small rasbora species?

3. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22 Valued Member Member

Ratings:
    +17
    I definitely wouldn't put killifish with shimp as they most likely will be eaten but they do tend to be hard to care for. Maybe try a raspora school with those shrimp. Maybe even some endlers as they stay small and generally are quite colorful! Of course, I always recommend a betta sorority but I definately would not risk it with those guppies. Rummy nose tetras would also e quite cool in my opinion!

4. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    This tank has been running for 3 years, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm worried that they might be out-competed for food by the guppies, though...
    I like chili rasboras. Would those work in my tank?
    I have enough endler hybrids already. A few adults, five fry, and one of my females is pregnant.
    Rummy nose tetras are cool, but I'm looking for smaller fish. I don't want to overstock it, since I have several guppy fry growing out and plan to breed some more.

5. MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +797
    Chili rasboras would be a really good mix. Theyre tiny and cute and pretty docile.

6. midna

midna Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +2,426
    Experience:
    2 years
    chili rasboras (or phoenix, etc.), ember tetras, blue axelrodi rasboras.

7. imba

imba Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +872
    Sparkling gouramis are prolific shrimp hunters tho. I keep CPDs with a breeding colony of cherry shrimps, with no significant lost in the shrimp population.

Other suggestions not yet mentioned are green neon tetras, green neon rasboras and clown killifish (shrimp safe killi)

8. MissNoodle

Ratings:
    +797
  9. Brizburk

Brizburk Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +439
    Experience:
    5 years
    I love my chilli Rasbora!!!! Tiny and tough as nails. Plus they turn a bright red. Huge eyes. Pretty little fish.

10. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    These are all great suggestions! I'll have to look into each of them.

11. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    Ah, that's disappointing. Even adult shrimp?
    That's good! I'm very interested in CPDs. From what I've read they're pretty fun to watch, and I want a more personable fish.
    I'm probably moving some albino cories to the 29 (I was given a 10 gallon with them), but I'm considering putting dwarf cories in my 10 gallon shrimp tank.

12. WTFish?

WTFish? Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +3,037
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    I lovee my cpds! So pretty and active. I have them with a huge shrimp colony. I’m sure they snag a shrimplet here and there but no big losses. I also have them with corydoras habrosus. You could have a nice shoal size in there.

13. pongoandfriends22

pongoandfriends22 Valued Member Member

Ratings:
    +17
    Maybe some cherry shrimp would be nice to bring out the color of the endlers. DEFINITELY, look into chili rasboras!

14. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    Can sparkling gouramis be kept with larger shrimp, like amanos?

15. imba

imba Well Known Member Member

Ratings:
    +872
    I think Amanos will be fine. Amanos are larger and hold their ground against bettas.

16. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    If I added 6 CPDs, 2 sparkling gouramis, and 6 albino cories to my 29 gal, how many female guppies could I have in there?

17. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    Anyone?

18. GabrielParker

GabrielParker Valued Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    Start with around 8 and could add more. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Even if you don't add males they're livebearers so the females can carry sperm for a while so you might end up with a bunch of fry so don't go overboard with stocking females at first.

19. OP
    OP
    FeederGuppies

Ratings:
    +159
    Experience:
    5 years
    The females would be grown in my own tanks, so they usually aren't pregnant when I put them in (I can ID a female pretty early).

20. GabrielParker

GabrielParker Valued Member Member

Ratings:
    +12
    OK. That's fine. Enjoy stocking your tank. Its one of the best parts.

Become a Fishlore Member