29 Gallon Tank Colorful Nano Fish Suggestions

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm looking for an easy, colorful nano fish to add to my 29 gallon. It usually has around 10 female guppies (currently at 4 after a recent parasite outbreak, which has been treated). It also has a cardinal tetra, which I'm either giving to a friend or getting more so it can have a school. Haven't decided yet.
I was considering peacock gudgeons or killifish but decided I don't want fish that are that hard to keep. Celestial pearl danios look awesome, but I'm not sure if they're like my water, since it's hard and the pH is pretty high. I've also read that they eat shrimp. I'm planning to put red cherry shrimp in that tank, so I'm not sure if that'll work out. Sparkling gouramis are another option I'm interested in. Not sure how easy they are to keep.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Ive read sparkling gouramis are one needing a mature tank, but not much else complicating anything...

What about a small rasbora species?

pongoandfriends22

Reaction score
FeederGuppies said:
I'm looking for an easy, colorful nano fish to add to my 29 gallon. It usually has around 10 female guppies (currently at 4 after a recent parasite outbreak, which has been treated). It also has a cardinal tetra, which I'm either giving to a friend or getting more so it can have a school. Haven't decided yet.
I was considering peacock gudgeons or killifish but decided I don't want fish that are that hard to keep. Celestial pearl danios look awesome, but I'm not sure if they're like my water, since it's hard and the pH is pretty high. I've also read that they eat shrimp. I'm planning to put red cherry shrimp in that tank, so I'm not sure if that'll work out. Sparkling gouramis are another option I'm interested in. Not sure how easy they are to keep.
I definitely wouldn't put killifish with shimp as they most likely will be eaten but they do tend to be hard to care for. Maybe try a raspora school with those shrimp. Maybe even some endlers as they stay small and generally are quite colorful! Of course, I always recommend a betta sorority but I definitely would not risk it with those guppies. Rummy nose tetras would also e quite cool in my opinion!

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NoodleKeeper said:
Ive read sparkling gouramis are one needing a mature tank, but not much else complicating anything...

This tank has been running for 3 years, so that shouldn't be a problem. I'm worried that they might be out-competed for food by the guppies, though...
I like chilI rasboras. Would those work in my tank?
pongoandfriends22 said:
I definitely wouldn't put killifish with shimp as they most likely will be eaten but they do tend to be hard to care for. Maybe try a raspora school with those shrimp. Maybe even some endlers as they stay small and generally are quite colorful! Of course, I always recommend a betta sorority but I definitely would not risk it with those guppies. Rummy nose tetras would also e quite cool in my opinion!
I have enough endler hybrids already. A few adults, five fry, and one of my females is pregnant.
Rummy nose tetras are cool, but I'm looking for smaller fish. I don't want to overstock it, since I have several guppy fry growing out and plan to breed some more.

MissNoodle

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
ChilI rasboras would be a really good mix. Theyre tiny and cute and pretty docile.

imba

Well Known
Reaction score
Sparkling gouramis are prolific shrimp hunters tho. I keep CPDs with a breeding colony of cherry shrimps, with no significant lost in the shrimp population.

Other suggestions not yet mentioned are green neon tetras, green neon rasboras and clown killifish (shrimp safe killi)

Brizburk

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
NoodleKeeper said:

I love my chillI Rasbora!!!! Tiny and tough as nails. Plus they turn a bright red. Huge eyes. Pretty little fish.

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
These are all great suggestions! I'll have to look into each of them.

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
imba said:
Sparkling gouramis are prolific shrimp hunters tho. I keep CPDs with a breeding colony of cherry shrimps, with no significant lost in the shrimp population.

Other suggestions not yet mentioned are green neon tetras, green neon rasboras and clown killifish (shrimp safe killi)
Ah, that's disappointing. Even adult shrimp?
That's good! I'm very interested in CPDs. From what I've read they're pretty fun to watch, and I want a more personable fish.
NoodleKeeper said:
Another idea... dwarf corydoras...
I'm probably moving some albino cories to the 29 (I was given a 10 gallon with them), but I'm considering putting dwarf cories in my 10 gallon shrimp tank.

WTFish?

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I lovee my cpds! So pretty and active. I have them with a huge shrimp colony. I’m sure they snag a shrimplet here and there but no big losses. I also have them with corydoras habrosus. You could have a nice shoal size in there.

pongoandfriends22

Reaction score
Maybe some cherry shrimp would be nice to bring out the color of the endlers. DEFINITELY, look into chilI rasboras!

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Can sparkling gouramis be kept with larger shrimp, like amanos?

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
If I added 6 CPDs, 2 sparkling gouramis, and 6 albino cories to my 29 gal, how many female guppies could I have in there?

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FeederGuppies said:
If I added 6 CPDs, 2 sparkling gouramis, and 6 albino cories to my 29 gal, how many female guppies could I have in there?
Anyone?

GabrielParker

Reaction score
Start with around 8 and could add more. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Even if you don't add males they're livebearers so the females can carry sperm for a while so you might end up with a bunch of fry so don't go overboard with stocking females at first.

OP
FeederGuppies

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
GabrielParker said:
Start with around 8 and could add more. (Correct me if I'm wrong!) Even if you don't add males they're livebearers so the females can carry sperm for a while so you might end up with a bunch of fry so don't go overboard with stocking females at first.
The females would be grown in my own tanks, so they usually aren't pregnant when I put them in (I can ID a female pretty early).

New Threads