9. Gold Ram

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Glofish Tetras

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Aquariusgirl Initiate Member

Okay so I have a 29 gallon tank of 5 black skirt tetras (and 12 ghost shrimp, mind you). They are great, but I am wondering which fish should I have join them because I don't want to add fish that they would kill or attack. I've read horror stories. I would prefer to have fish that would not only get along with the BSTs, but would also add some bright colors (preferably bright reds) to contrast the darkness of my BSKs and gravel.

And recommendations to add more BSTs are not what I'm looking for. I do plan on adding a few more. I'm asking about other fish that would be compatible and safe.

2. Katie13 Fishlore VIP Member

I wouldn't recommend GBRs. They tend to be incredibly sensitive.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The gold and German blue rams aren't temperature compatible with black skirt tetras.

What about something like this?

8-10x Black skirt tetra
    10x Neons OR cherry barbs
    1x Dwarf gourami
    2-3x Male swordtails OR male mollies OR 4-5x male platies
    10x Panda cories OR bronze cories OR false julii cories OR 12x Kuhli loaches

Definitely add more skirts, as they can be nippy in small schools. Serpae can be nippy as well, so I'd just leave them out.

4. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Both the GBR and the Gold Rams would not work, If you want a Ram look into Bolivian Rams, I would do
    10 Black Skirt Tetras(You could add Glofish Tetras as they are a genetically modified Black Skirt)
    1 Dwarf Gourami or 1 Bolivian Ram
    5 Platies(5 Males or 1 Male 4 Females) or 4 Mollies(1 Male 3 Females)
    10 Black Neon Tetras or 10 Neon Tetras
    10 Bronze Cories or 12 Pangio Loaches(Kuhli or Black Kuhli)

5. Aquariusgirl Initiate Member

I was interested in neons or cherry barbs, but I worried that BST would attack them. Has anyone had any experience with these groups and how did they get along?

6. Aquariusgirl Initiate Member

There's an idea. That would be a good way of adding color to my tank too. I just have a couple of questions:

1) Would the glofish tetras school with the black skirt then?

2) Do glofish tetras have a short life due to being genetically modified?

7. OnTheFly Well Known Member Member

Glofish will school with the appropriate tetra species. No knowledge of them having a shorter life. And BSTs are mostly peaceful. I have had schools for 5 to 13 fish and notice little difference in behavior. If you have a school they will chase each other and leave everybody else alone n my experience. Even a small school will do for this tetra. A friend of mine has had 3 or 4 forever and they act the same as my larger school. They don't school nearly as well as many other tetras but need a few buddies so they have somebody to be hyperactive with or they would probably get into mischief. Perhaps they would school tighter if they felt threatened by a larger more aggressive fish but in the typical community they get comfortable. They are very active fish and will attempt to eat all the food before anyone else gets any. Most everything on your list would likely work. Anything that will fits in their mouth is food but I never had a problem with them bothering small fish like neons.

8. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

The glofish tetra will school with the black skirt because they are the same species (Gymnocorymbus ternetzi).

Not sure for the 2nd question though, but I think they won't have a shorter life. Those aren't the dyed or painted fish or something like that.

9. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

The skirts should not attack them, especially if you keep the skirts tetra in an adequately sized school (8-10 individuals).

10. Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

I agree with TD.

11. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

You could do a mix of Black Skirts, White/Gold Skirts, and Glo Skirts and they would all school together.

12. Aquariusgirl Initiate Member

I like that idea. Thanks for the input everyone. I will probably go with this.

13. Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

Welcome, I hope it works!

14. Aquariusgirl Initiate Member

Thanks again. I ordered 2 glofish tetras. I could not find any white or gold skirt tetras. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

15. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

They're quite commonly found at chain stores as well (at least the white ones are).

16. aquatickeeper Fishlore VIP Member

Maybe you can order online or have an LFS special order for you?