Coloration differences?

Cambrianexplosion24
Hey guys! So ever since I first saw one many years ago in my favorite aquarium book (Encyclopedia of Aquarium and Pond Fish by David Alderton) I have adored the rosy barb. I did briefly have one about 14 years ago and it was a reddish one but the ones I'm currently seeing at my local Petco are sort of a golden brown, probably young ones I would imagine. I think the golden brown ones are very beautiful but I'm planning on putting two of them in the tank I'm in the process of building (only two since apparently they grow to 6 inches) and I'm really hoping for the copper red coloration. I heard only males develop reddish coloration. Is that true or do they all turn reddish eventually? None of the ones at the store right now are really showing any hints of color so if only males get red is there a way to identify a male or a female at a younger age? I was assuming the slimmer bodied ones were in all likelihood males and the rounder bodied ones females.

V1K
The ones you saw are probably all females and will remain golden shade. Check out other shops for males. Also it's not recommended to only keep 2, as they get stressed in small groups. They're really nippy with each other and being in a small group makes it even worse. If your tank is too small for that, maybe you need a different fish.

Cambrianexplosion24
V1K said:
The ones you saw are probably all females and will remain golden shade. Check out other shops for males. Also it's not recommended to only keep 2, as they get stressed in small groups. They're really nippy with each other and being in a small group makes it even worse. If your tank is too small for that, maybe you need a different fish.
Oh yeah! The tank's a 90 gallon! It'll do fine! I was just trying to be conservative but if I need a few more of them to make them comfortable that's fine by me! I'll check all the other shops in the area until I find some males. Thanks!

V1K
Cambrianexplosion24 said:
Oh yeah! The tank's a 90 gallon! It'll do fine! I was just trying to be conservative but if I need a few more of them to make them comfortable that's fine by me! I'll check all the other shops in the area until I find some males. Thanks!
2 fish in 90 gallon would look ridiculous anyway. You can have a group of them and still have enough space for whatever else you want to keep there .

Redshark1
In my experience they are also oxygen-demanding and prefer the lower temperatures.

Pethia conchonius – Rosy Barb (Puntius conchonius, Barbus conchonius) — Seriously Fish

Basil
I’ve also always liked them. A group of them in your 90 would be stunning!

Top Bottom