Color variation

connorjs1004

Kind of an odd question, but would white sand with a black background look ok or would that be too blocky looking if that makes sense?

MacZ

Avoid bright white sand, the reflection tends to stress many fish.
But a light substrate against a black background can look really nice, depends on the final decorations and plants.

connorjs1004

Avoid bright white sand, the reflection tends to stress many fish.
But a light substrate against a black background can look really nice, depends on the final decorations and plants.
Its kind of an off white sand

PAcanis

Blocky? Do mean contrast?
But anyway, I have a black background and white sand substrate. The black isn't that black, more like a slate color with the water in the tank. And my substrate has a lot going on to break up the all white(ish) appearance. Rocks... plants... wood... My fish seem unaffected by the color. It doesn't contrast between the back wall and substrate as much as I thought it would.

I think this is one of those personal taste questions. I wouldn't doubt most of the fish I buy were probably raised in a clear bottom aquarium as fry anyway.

connorjs1004

Blocky? Do mean contrast?
But anyway, I have a black background and white sand substrate. The black isn't that black, more like a slate color with the water in the tank. And my substrate has a lot going on to break up the all white(ish) appearance. Rocks... plants... wood... My fish seem unaffected by the color. It doesn't contrast between the back wall and substrate as much as I thought it would.

I think this is one of those personal taste questions. I wouldn't doubt most of the fish I buy were probably raised in a clear bottom aquarium as fry anyway.
Yes, contrast is the word I was looking for lol.
Would you mind attaching a photo of your tank so I can just visually see what it looks like :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
FinalFins
Replies
Views
Katie993
Replies
Views