Color/pattern Changing Pleco?

Kielum04

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Hi, New to the forum. I have a few tanks and a few different plecos. A few months ago, a buddy of mine that works at a fish store gave me 2 lemon/bristle nose hybrids. I know plecos will “camouflage and or have slight coloration changes but these guys seem to change completely in both color and pattern like I haven’t seen before. Is this something that’s typical? They are very healthy and it’s not a water condition or health things. Just odd and very interesting.

Can anyone send shed any light on these guys or provide me any additional resources/materials.

Thank you

P.S. they are juvenile 1.5” and are currently in my dry tank.
 

Lucyn

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Reaction score
283
Location
Maine
Experience
3 years
Kielum04 said:
Hi, New to the forum. I have a few tanks and a few different plecos. A few months ago, a buddy of mine that works at a fish store gave me 2 lemon/bristle nose hybrids. I know plecos will “camouflage and or have slight coloration changes but these guys seem to change completely in both color and pattern like I haven’t seen before. Is this something that’s typical? They are very healthy and it’s not a water condition or health things. Just odd and very interesting.

Can anyone send shed any light on these guys or provide me any additional resources/materials.

Thank you
Most fishes patterns change had they get older and grow up. I actually am raising a Guppy Fry, a month ago he was completely colorless and pale, now he has black splatters along his Caudal fin and yellow tinges along his stomach. I had a Bristlenose that was supposed to be and looked to be a regular Bristle, and ended up developing an insane amount of marble patches. My Yoyo Loaches patterns are very different, same color just different from when they were small. So, I'd say pretty normal
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
K

Kielum04

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
True. But these guys change from minute to minute. I’m getting a pic uploaded so you can see what I mean.
 

Lucyn

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Reaction score
283
Location
Maine
Experience
3 years
Kielum04 said:
True. But these guys change from minute to minute. I’m getting a pic uploaded so you can see what I mean.
Ohhh, so you mean more of a quick on the spot type of changing color? Looking at those pictures, my Pleco actually does the same exact thing. Usually it depends on lighting but sometimes he'll be right under the light and I couldn't tell he ever had any marble. I don't know too much about it, but I can say I experience that as well if that helps haha. I'm guessing it may be a stress thing? Kinda like how Discus show their bars and darken when they're stressed out, then they completely fade when not stressed.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6
OP
K

Kielum04

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
During the day it is much more drastic of a change.. I can try ang get a video where you can actually see them change.

If you notice in the first pics he’s extremely spotted and in the others he has a completely different pattern with larger spots and a yellowish band in his back
 

Lucyn

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Reaction score
283
Location
Maine
Experience
3 years
Kielum04 said:
During the day it is much more drastic of a change.. I can try ang get a video where you can actually see them change.
Does it get darker during the day? If so, that'd make sense since Pleco's are cave dwellers and nocturnal. Meaning to darken up in the day to blend in with caves and stuff, and showing there true colors at night since they don't have to hide.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
K

Kielum04

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
It’s not stress. My other plecos will fade their normal pattern when stressed or bullied. This is different.

No. They do this all day and night.. they go from dark and very spotted to almost orange. It’s like they are literally switching from bristle nose to blue eye lemon and back.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #9
OP
K

Kielum04

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
These guys don’t really hide.. they are in my fry tank so they’re the biggest fish in the tank.
 

Lucyn

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Reaction score
283
Location
Maine
Experience
3 years
Kielum04 said:
These guys don’t really hide.. they are in my fry tank so they’re the biggest fish in the tank.
Ahh I see. Pleco's I've had have done something similar, you might have an unique case of an extreme with the hybrid thing going on.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #11
OP
K

Kielum04

New Member
Member
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
That’s kinda what I’m thinking but didn’t want to seem like a noob if that’s super common.. lll They’re really cool and personable. I also have a snowball pleco that won’t show his face even during feedings. Expensive fish I never get to see


Thx for your reply Lucyn!
 

Lucyn

Well Known
Member
Messages
537
Reaction score
283
Location
Maine
Experience
3 years
Kielum04 said:
That’s kinda what I’m thinking but didn’t want to seem like a noob if that’s super common.. lll They’re really cool and personable. I also have a snowball pleco that won’t show his face even during feedings. Expensive fish I never get to see


Thx for your reply Lucyn!
No problem, glad I could give an insight
 

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Member
Messages
19,933
Reaction score
14,144
Location
Holland (The Netherlands)
Experience
More than 10 years
Kielum04 said:
It’s not stress. My other plecos will fade their normal pattern when stressed or bullied. This is different.

No. They do this all day and night.. they go from dark and very spotted to almost orange. It’s like they are literally switching from bristle nose to blue eye lemon and back.
It is a "stresspattern" when they are out in the open. Nothing to worry about though.
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
99
Guests online
2,036
Total visitors
2,135

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom