Color/pattern Changing Pleco?

Discussion in 'Pleco - Plecostomus' started by Kielum04, Aug 23, 2019.

1. Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, New to the forum. I have a few tanks and a few different plecos. A few months ago, a buddy of mine that works at a fish store gave me 2 lemon/bristle nose hybrids. I know plecos will “camouflage and or have slight coloration changes but these guys seem to change completely in both color and pattern like i haven’t seen before. Is this something that’s typical? They are very healthy and it’s not a water condition or health things. Just odd and very interesting.

Can anyone send shed any light on these guys or provide me any additional resources/materials.

Thank you

P.S. they are juvenile 1.5” and are currently in my dry tank.

2. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    2 years
    Most fishes patterns change had they get older and grow up. I actually am raising a Guppy Fry, a month ago he was completely colorless and pale, now he has black splatters along his Caudal fin and yellow tinges along his stomach. I had a Bristlenose that was supposed to be and looked to be a regular Bristle, and ended up developing an insane amount of marble patches. My Yoyo Loaches patterns are very different, same color just different from when they were small. So, I'd say pretty normal :)

3. OP
    OP
    Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    True. But these guys change from minute to minute. I’m getting a pic uploaded so you can see what i mean.

4. OP
    OP
    Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    Ok, so these are all the same pleco within 10 min of each other.

Attached Files:

5. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ohhh, so you mean more of a quick on the spot type of changing color? Looking at those pictures, my Pleco actually does the same exact thing. Usually it depends on lighting but sometimes he'll be right under the light and I couldn't tell he ever had any marble. I don't know too much about it, but I can say I experience that as well if that helps haha. I'm guessing it may be a stress thing? Kinda like how Discus show their bars and darken when they're stressed out, then they completely fade when not stressed.

6. OP
    OP
    Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    During the day it is much more drastic of a change.. i can try ang get a video where you can actually see them change.

If you notice in the first pics he’s extremely spotted and in the others he has a completely different pattern with larger spots and a yellowish band in his back

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  7. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    2 years
    Does it get darker during the day? If so, that'd make sense since Pleco's are cave dwellers and nocturnal. Meaning to darken up in the day to blend in with caves and stuff, and showing there true colors at night since they don't have to hide.

8. OP
    OP
    Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    It’s not stress. My other plecos will fade their normal pattern when stressed or bullied. This is different.

No. They do this all day and night.. they go from dark and very spotted to almost orange. It’s like they are literally switching from bristle nose to blue eye lemon and back.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2019
  9. OP
    OP
    Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    These guys don’t really hide.. they are in my fry tank so they’re the biggest fish in the tank.

10. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    2 years
    Ahh I see. Pleco's I've had have done something similar, you might have an unique case of an extreme with the hybrid thing going on.

11. OP
    OP
    Kielum04

Kielum04New MemberMember

Ratings:
    +0
    That’s kinda what I’m thinking but didn’t want to seem like a noob if that’s super common.. lll They’re really cool and personable. I also have a snowball pleco that won’t show his face even during feedings. Expensive fish i never get to see

Thx for your reply Lucyn!

12. Lucyn

LucynValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    2 years
    No problem, glad I could give an insight :)

13. DoubleDutch

DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Ratings:
    +11,724
    Experience:
    More than 10 years
    It is a "stresspattern" when they are out in the open. Nothing to worry about though.