Color Changes

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'll have Belushi 2 years in September. His vibrant blue color is fading. I don't have a good before picture but this is him now. Does this happen when they get older? My red betta is close to the same age and he/she (not sure) looks the same
20180429_231409.jpg
20180429_231040.jpg

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Well, being a veiltail, his fins aren't supposed to be shredded like that. It looks like fin rot. What are your tank parameters?

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
Well, being a veiltail, his fins aren't supposed to be shredded like that. It looks like fin rot. What are your tank parameters?
5.5 gallon, heated, filtered, fake and live plants
Collage%202018-04-30%2016_29_44.jpg

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
That looks like fin nipping. Some of the longer-tailed bettas tend to do that, and there’s not much you can do. Usually they’ll be fine as long as the water is clean, which yours seems to be!

As for your question, yes, bettas do change color over the course of their lives. Some is just regular color change, and sometimes it’s fading as they get into older age. My rosetail turned from green and red to midnight blue and black within just a few months!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
When you’re testing for nitrate, are you shaking bottle two vigorously for 30 seconds, adding it, and then vigorously shaking the test tube for one minute? Followed by waiting 5 for the color to develop? @LilBlub who would be fin nipping him? I would assume he’s by himself (at least I hope).

WhatsUpGuys

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
He just looks really old to me. Older bettas tend to have faded colors and stiffer fins. If he’s eating and active then there’s not really much to worry about. As long as he can swim ok, he’s fine.

Not sure about the shredded fins though. Perhaps a mild case of fin rot that already healed over. It’s definitely not tail biting.

LilBlub

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yeah... WhatsUpGuys is right. I took a better look at the picture and it doesn’t quite look like fin nipping. Sorry for the wrong info!

Jnyftb

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
AquaticJ said:
When you’re testing for nitrate, are you shaking bottle two vigorously for 30 seconds, adding it, and then vigorously shaking the test tube for one minute? Followed by waiting 5 for the color to develop? @LilBlub who would be fin nipping him? I would assume he’s by himself (at least I hope).
He is by himself

AquaticJ said:
Yes I follow the instructions to a tee

WhatsUpGuys said:
He just looks really old to me. Older bettas tend to have faded colors and stiffer fins. If he’s eating and active then there’s not really much to worry about. As long as he can swim ok, he’s fine.

Not sure about the shredded fins though. Perhaps a mild case of fin rot that already healed over. It’s definitely not tail biting.
He is acting more lethargic. I put in a little E.M. Erythromycin and will follow procedure for that in hopes of it helping. Also put in a 1/2 tsp of aquarium salt

Also shut his light off all day and didn't feed them tonight. He still has his appetite so that's good but he's lying in unusual spots. On top of heater (the rubber part) under the lip of the filter. Lots more hiding then usual. But he still comes out for food...but slower.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom