Color Change with Water change

1. gtora Initiate Member

Yesterday, I did a 20% water change in a ten gallon tank and noticed that Rachel's (a red and purple betta) body color changed were she had distinct horizontal lines going across her body looking something like a zebra danio. She was behaving normally and did not seemed stressed. Is this common among bettas to exhibit stripes? Here is a picture of her with normal color. If it happens again at the next water change I will try and get a picture! It did not last long before she was full color again. Any ideas?

Attached Files:

2. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

those are stress bars i think

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

They are stress bars, but don't worry. She was just upset because you were cleaning her tank, but as you know it's good for her in the long run to have regular water changes. When she returned to her normal color, it's a sign that she got over it, lol. Silly bettas. :p

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Welcome to the Forum!!! I am glad you betta is fine. I have an unrelated question, does the pagoda in your tank have openings big enough for your fish to fit through?

5. gtora Initiate Member

Yes, both the lower and upper openings are large enough for them to fit through. They do go inside and explore.

6. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

hi gtora, welcome to fishlore. do you have 3 female bettas and 2 platies in a 10 gallon together, or am I misreading your tank info?

7. gtora Initiate Member

Yes, I have three female betta and two male platies. The girls I rescued from petsmart and they are doing very well ... there have been no signs of aggression but quite the opposite. They appear as though they like one another!

8. Gouramiguy17 Well Known Member Member

just to give a warning, most of the bettas owners on here that have tried sorority tanks have failed, everything goes good for the first 4 months then one day the owners turn on the light and they have shredded each others fins. but it might work, but i think the bettas would need more territory than a ten gallon can provide

9. gtora Initiate Member

Gee ... I sure hope that does not happen. I have read in several places that girls where fine to keep together as long as they were in odd numbers and introduced at the same time. I will keep a close eye on them.

10. Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Hi welcome to FishLore :)
    Def. keep a close eye out for any aggression or stress and have a back up plan.
    I agree with Gouramiguy17. You'd have a better chance in a much larger tank and if the girls are sisters that grew up together. But even then, we've seen too many disasters.
    Best of luck.

11. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Gtora and Welcome to Fish Lore. Rachel sure is a beauty! Horizontal stripes are a sign of stress (as mentioned above) and vertical lines means she's looking for a husband :)
    Thanks for sharing the photo!
    Ken

12. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

ooo aquarist, you got that betta thing down pat!!! Call MM, she may have a few you would be interested in!!!...come on now...apparently you can start with just one....I tried that and ended up with three!!!....just talk to her about them. Maybe she she has a couple of pics.

13. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

LOL Ted. I'll have to wait and see if a shelf tank or a 20g long jumps into my shopping cart during my next visit to PetCo. :) It happened on my last visit (shelf tank)but I was "strong" and put it back! (after I spread it out all over the fish store floor looking at it) :)
    Ken

14. Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Wow, rachel is lovely, welcome to both of you.
    Gald she's OK