Color Change In Mystery Snails Question

1. Mmmph

Mmmph Valued Member Member

C1692770-A978-43DE-A4D7-2BA9523FFBFA.jpeg I know that changes in water parameter may cause new growth in the shell to appear slightly different, but what is the main contributor to this color change? My snail developed 3 rather distinct colors from recent moves. Now she looks black, gold, and ivory all at the same time.

The shells of my other 4 snails made barely noticeable transitions compared to this one.

2. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

Wow, that's a unique coloration. Was the black always there?

3. OP
    OP
    Mmmph

Mmmph Valued Member Member

Lol yeah I thought I bought a black snail

4. Dch48

Dch48 Well Known Member Member

A black one would not have a white body. Very strange.

5. snailyfriends

snailyfriends Valued Member Member

i've heard of the snails turning white or getting darker but never three colors at once. could it be genetics, maybe a hybrid or chimera snail, kind of like chimera dogs? that's odd. maybe she's more sensitive to the water. it's actually beautiful, and it seems to be an okay thickness at least

6. wodesorel

wodesorel Well Known Member Member

My guess would be different minerals in the different water sources, since you said it happened after moves. I've had a blue shell go to white before, and yellow change to much darker hues. Yours is really spectacular in variation!

7. Pringlethesnail

Pringlethesnail Well Known Member Member

I did buy a snail like that once! I don’t know what caused it to look like that early in life but the color the shell is growing now is the correct color. This shows that the snail is very healthy now. The orange was when it was doing better than it was in the brown part, and now it’s doing the best it ever has!