“Colombian shrimp”

Ouse

My dad’s friend has a 650 litre cylinder community tank and I was told that he recently bought some huge shrimp for it. He simply described them as “Colombian shrimp.” He also said that he and his friend are willing to take me to see them at the fish shop they’re from in Hampshire.

What species could he be referring to? A group of huge shrimp from Colombia sounds interesting. Even if I don’t buy them it’s still nice to view them.

Would this species, if it’s identified, be safe in my 30 gallon community? My yellow rainbowfish gobbled up all four of the bamboo shrimp when they moulted but he leaves the amanos alone. It’s also playing it safe to ask if large invertebrates can pose a threat to fish.

Thanks! :happy:

JustAFishServant

I'm...not really sure? I've never heard of "Colombian Shrimp", and if you try searching it up, the results are either food-related or just big, huge river shrimp from Colombia. Maybe that's what he means?

First off, I would call and ask the pet store what species they are, how big they get, whether they're a true freshwater species, and if they're compatible with your current inhabitants.

Upvote 0

Ouse

I guess I’ll only find out when I look. Only issue is that I can’t simply research them on the spot and buy them right away.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

My dad’s friend has a 650 litre cylinder community tank and I was told that he recently bought some huge shrimp for it. He simply described them as “Colombian shrimp.” He also said that he and his friend are willing to take me to see them at the fish shop they’re from in Hampshire. . .

Can you define huge? About how many inches or millimeters?

Upvote 0

Ouse

Can you define huge? About how many inches or millimeters?
I’m afraid not. My dad just said they’re “huge.”

Upvote 0

richiep

What shop did he get them

Upvote 0

Ouse

What shop did he get them
I’m not sure about that either. All I know is that he called them “Colombian shrimp” and that they’re of a large, unspecified size.

Upvote 0

JettsPapa

I’m afraid not. My dad just said they’re “huge.”

I was asking because amano shrimp get much larger than ornamental shrimp like neocaridinas. I don't suppose it was a dwarf crayfish instead of a shrimp?

Upvote 0

Ouse

I was asking because amano shrimp get much larger than ornamental shrimp like neocaridinas. I don't suppose it was a dwarf crayfish instead of a shrimp?
I used to own a dwarf crayfish for a short period of time. I don’t think they‘re crays. The guy already has some huge bamboo shrimp that are significantly larger than any amano (they look to be around four inches or so), so I expect these Colombian shrimps to be monsters.

Upvote 0

richiep

They may be the giant prawn shrimp

Upvote 0

Ouse

My dad just updated me saying they’re a species of armoured shrimp. We usually see them in a Maidenhead Aqautics we like to visit.

He didn’t actually say Colombian; he said Canadian. My bad. :facepalm:
They may be the giant prawn shrimp
Just googled some pictures of them and they‘re certainly impressive! :eek:

Upvote 0

richiep

Mine walks the tank taking everyone for a ride

Attachments

• 20190323_124143.jpg
    20190323_124143.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 17
Upvote 0

Ouse

Mine walks the tank taking everyone for a ride
Your tank is a very developed economy. There’s even a bus service!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
DuaneV
Replies
Views
Gudgie
5 Gallon Tank Shrimp one year update
Replies
Views