Colombian or Buenos Aires Tetras? Need Feedback

myriad1973

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’m doing research on a second tetra species to put in my tank. Are the Colombian and Buenos Aires boisterous, active and nippy or more docile? Are they good dither fish? What tank region do they occupy? Anybody that has kept these fish, I’d love to hear your feedback.

These would be stocked with Lemon Tetras, Cory Cats, Keyhole Cichlids, Bolivian Rams and possibly Festivums in my 75 gallon. I haven’t gotten any of these quite yet, but it’s my planned stock over the next several weeks/months.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
myriad1973 said:
I’m doing research on a second tetra species to put in my tank. Are the Colombian and Buenos Aires boisterous, active and nippy or more docile? Are they good dither fish? Anybody that has kept these fish, I’d love to hear your feedback.

These would be stocked with Lemon Tetras, Cory Cats, Keyhole Cichlids, Bolivian Rams and possibly Festivums in my 75 gallon. I haven’t gotten any of these quite yet, but it’s my planned stock over the next several weeks/months.
Colombian Tetra are my absolute favourite Tetra and i've only recently rehomed them to make more room for my Gourami.
I've had no issues with them nipping even in a 30 gallon with Gourami, they are however aggressive feeders, you'll need to make sure everyone else gets food. I kept mine in a group of 5 :D

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
GouramI should be a good guage on nipping however I've kept GouramI with Tiger Barbs without issues but Colombian Tetra act completely different to them and are generally quite chill when they aren't feeding.

OP
myriad1973

myriad1973

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
JettsPapa said:
I'm a big fan of serpae tetras, and they would look good with the lemons. There shouldn't be any issues with nipping if you have a decent sized school.
Thanks, but I wasn't really planning on getting Serpaes.... I would much rather go with Red Phantoms.
In any regard, whatever I end up with it'll be about a dozen.

jinjerJOSH22

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
myriad1973 said:
Thanks, but I wasn't really planning on getting Serpaes.... I would much rather go with Red Phantoms.
In any regard, whatever I end up with it'll be about a dozen.
What might be a factor is Buenos Aires Tetra are known for destroying plants.

OP
myriad1973

myriad1973

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
jinjerJOSH22 said:
What might be a factor is Buenos Aires Tetra are known for destroying plants.
Yeah... I was reading on them and saw that. Being I have a planted tank, I guess that counts them out?

I guess I should check into a different species.

JonnyEnglish

Reaction score
My Buenos Aires Tetras (BATS) are like something possessed when it comes to feeding time, something out of a Bond movie and Piranha attacks lol.

Beautiful fish and I added them as dither fish for my Rams, they are in a planted tank but plants are hardy, Anubis etc. They have certainly brought the Rams out of their shells as it where esp. at feeding times, Rams seem to be a bit more clued up as to where the food falls in the tank and will stalk that area when dried or flaked foods are used.

I must upload some pics.

New Threads