Colloidal Silver and filter media

redhorse

I've been searching for info about using Colloidal Silver in the tank. My fish was so much better after just one treatment; however, I would like to know (from those who have used this form of medication) if having the charcoal in the filter would deactivate the Colloidal Silver. In my 38 gallon tank, I use a Fluval 70 and a large Whisper filter. I have nothing in the filters right now except for the sponge in the Fluval and the empty filter floss bag in the Whisper. I want the sick fish to get the full benefit of the C.S. but I'm also a little concerned about not having the carbon in there as well as the bag of ammonia pellets in the Fluval.

jimmykuo

I've been searching for info about using Colloidal Silver in the tank. My fish was so much better after just one treatment; however, I would like to know (from those who have used this form of medication) if having the charcoal in the filter would deactivate the Colloidal Silver. In my 38 gallon tank, I use a Fluval 70 and a large Whisper filter. I have nothing in the filters right now except for the sponge in the Fluval and the empty filter floss bag in the Whisper. I want the sick fish to get the full benefit of the C.S. but I'm also a little concerned about not having the carbon in there as well as the bag of ammonia pellets in the Fluval.
Hi Redhorse, I'm interested to know what disease you were treating your fish for when you used the colloidal silver? And what was your dosage? I know that there's a patent that uses of colloidal silver on fish to treat lesions in combination with zeolite (for ammonia absorption). So, I think the ammonia pellets should be fine. However, I am not sure about carbon. I have heard that some don't like using carbon in their tanks because it's sometimes linked to hole-in-the-head disease.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
fishnewbie33
Replies
Views
FrostedFlakes
  • Question
Replies
Views
Lakemontfishlover