College residence issues D: tankkeeping Help

1. pocket sized ninja Member Member

So I am hopefully getting in to residence. I checked the pets section and the only pet you are allowed is A 30L fish tank. I have two adfs a 1.5gal and i really really really want a betta and cherry shrimp... I am planning on buying or looking at a 5 gal. I would still like the the ADFs in the tank they are in so i don't have to worry about spot feeding them or what have you. Are there any ideas? opinions?

I might be able to get away with two small tanks......

2. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

I would put the shrimp in the 1.5 and then move your frogs into a 5 gallon. They need more space than a 1.5 gallon tank. Then if you want a betta I'd get an additional 5g for the betta.

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

I have all tree of these in a 5.5 gallon tank. I don't target feed the frogs, either. They know when its time to eat. If they miss out, they eat next time.

4. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

Something to keep in mind tho is I'm pretty sure you knew your bettas personallity BEFORE you did it. Just buying a betta and throwing it in a tank with ADFs and shrimp not knowing if it will tolerate others isn't a good idea when this member doesn't have much they could do with the betta if it doesn't work out.

5. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

True, but if the ADFs and the shrimp are there first, and settled in, that also increases the chances of an unknown betta getting along with them.

6. pocket sized ninja Member Member

How can you tell a bettas personality before putting him in?

7. e_watson09 Well Known Member Member

If you have had the betta for a while and tried different fish in with them before. I personally wouldn't risk it I'd just pick either the ADFs or the betta. I've had many bettas that don't tolerate other fish at all and others that couldn't care less. Regaurdless I've always had a back up plan (extra tanks). Being that you only can have the one tank, I'm assuming, then if everything goes bad with the betta and the frogs what are you going to do? Return the betta and try again? I'm assuming a pet store isn't on campus so you'd have to drive to return him if they were still open and if not shove him in a cup until morning? Then what? Try again? What if that one doesn't work out either? This would be stressing your frogs out as well as the bettas

8. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

At the store, move their cups around so that they have new neighbors. Or, you could ask an employee at the store if you could float their cups in the sales tanks. At home (if you already had it), give him a mirror. Neither way is entirely foolproof, but it should give you some idea of their temperament.

9. pocket sized ninja Member Member

I'm going to try it out at home first to see if they get along. If not, ill have to sneak a small tank in, Though i don't imagine i would get yelled at for it if i asked before hand if that would be alright, as an alternative.