College! Past, Present, Future, Or None

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
ystrout said:
I was nervous about moving out and all the freedom honestly. After like 3 days, those nerves settled and I loved it.

High school sucked haha. I don't know anyone who liked it. I absolutely loved college. I loved what I studied, loved earning my own money and paying my own way, and had some of the best times of my life.
Junior year was a rough year for me and there was a lot of drama in my Senior year. Fortunately, I didn't witness any drama in college, yet.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crispii said:
Junior year was a rough year for me and there was a lot of drama in my Senior year. Fortunately, I didn't witness any drama in college, yet.
If you're pretty social and go out a lot, you will. But who cares! Just ignore it and live your own life! Once you put yourself first and really just write off people that don't matter, life gets a lot easier.

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
ystrout said:
If you're pretty social and go out a lot, you will. But who cares! Just ignore it and live your own life! Once you put yourself first and really just write off people that don't matter, life gets a lot easier.
Aquariums and fishkeeping is my number one priority. School would be my second one.

ystrout

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crispii said:
Aquariums and fishkeeping is my number one priority. School would be my second one.
Lol same! I got into aquariums about 4 years ago with a 20 gallon right when I graduated. 3 additional tanks and a scuba diving hobby that feeds into aquariums, fish have become a huge part of my life! I love them haha.

MaximumRide14

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I'm a sophomore in high school. Can't wait until I get to college, but then I'll be stuck in debt. I'm trying to get most of my pre-reqs done in high school so I can apply to accelerated veterinary school programs.
(I'm procrastinating for my quiz tomorrow by looking on Fishlore haha)

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
ystrout said:
Lol same! I got into aquariums about 4 years ago with a 20 gallon right when I graduated. 3 additional tanks and a scuba diving hobby that feeds into aquariums, fish have become a huge part of my life! I love them haha.
And I recently got a 90 gallon aquarium and I'm still in college.

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Jerome O'Neil said:
Be careful with that. The deal isn't "working for a non profit for 10 years", it's "working for a non-profit for 10 years *and having made your debt payments during that time.*" So you are going to pay back at least a decades worth of loan before you even become eligible for that program. It also only applies to loans under the Ford Direct Loan laws. Perkins loans don't qualify. And 99% of applications for debt forgiveness are denied.
I'm completely acquainted with the requirements of non-profit loan forgiveness, so yes, I do acknowledge these facts. I know many people who have done it, specifically in the career I'm aiming for, without issue. From what I've heard, the trick is you need to stay in constant contact with the forgiveness program throughout the whole ten years. Ask ahead of time if your non-profit position qualifies, and always send in your proof of loan payments. All of the people I've talked to weren't denied when they were in this same career and checked if it qualified ahead of time.

FitSoldier

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was in the army for infantry for a short time. I quit to go to school to get my college diploma to become a Canadian Military Police (MP) officer (they need the college education for the trade). I already have a lot of the training down, so once I finish college, I should be a pretty competitive candidate for MP. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Collage student. Studying mathematics and computer science.
Kind of used to having some way of putting things in terms of math because of my studies... might be affecting my confidence in areas of aquarium keeping where I can't do that or the tools for doing so are prohibitively expensive. Glad I've got you all here on Fishlore to help me there.
So far I have no regrets about attending collage. Even if I do end up having to drop out I at least know enough about C++ at least to make some simple but useful programs.

FinalFins

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Crispii said:
Good thing you have your priorities in the correct order Crispii!!

vyrille

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Medical Doctor, graduated **** Biology 7 years ago. I daresay college was the best time of my life yet. Postgrad was a drag, medschool was worse, internship was a nightmare, and current practice makes me feel like quitting. I regret going into medschool and wished i had pushed for a biology postgrad instead, like marine biology/ecology. Oh well life goes on. If anything, my fish and aquariums give me a subtle reassurance of what could have been, and might be in the future, who knows. :p

Sunflower

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Attending college next year! Hoping to study graphic design. I’m taking my little 10 gal with me as a little piece of home :)

JettsPapa

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I did well in school, but didn't have a clue what I wanted to do after. I went to a junior college for two years, but just because everyone said that was what I was supposed to do. I quit after that, but it was probably the biggest mistake in my life. I'm doing okay now, but I wouldn't have had to work so hard for so many years if I'd gotten a degree.

Ebreus

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JettsPapa said:
I did well in school, but didn't have a clue what I wanted to do after. I went to a junior college for two years, but just because everyone said that was what I was supposed to do. I quit after that, but it was probably the biggest mistake in my life. I'm doing okay now, but I wouldn't have had to work so hard for so many years if I'd gotten a degree.
That does seem to be one of the shortcomings of high-school doesn't it? It doesn't nudge you at all about asking yourself: "Okay what do I do after this?" or have you making decisions based around your future.
When I started collage I was indecisive about what I was going to do and knocked out just general education classes for the first... two years I believe before I had to make a choice and actually major in something.

WrenFeenix

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm studying to be a vet tech at the local community college. Affordable education! :D I highly recommend trade schools.

I floundered around for 8 years before I figured out what I wanted to do. It's helped teach me that this whole career thing is not a race, and do what is best for you, regardless of external influence (money, society, demand, etc.). Forcing yourself to do or be something when you're not ready is not a good idea.

I wish I had gone straight into the workforce after high school, instead of immediately starting college. I think being in a real work environment puts everything into perspective and makes the career you're working towards seem a lot less overwhelming.

MissPanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was a drop out. School was very hard for me because of my attention span. It's easier to control as adult, but I still struggle with focus. I can even drift out of a conversation with someone and go off in lala land. I'm so hyper too. I currently work in a warehouse and it is brutal physical labor. I already have permanent back issues from it and I'm only 32. I decided I would go back to school and get my GED, which was still hard considering I never paid attention in school and still struggle with focus. I had to build up my math from the basics, I didnt even remember how to hand divide. :oops: Well I passed all of them, my lowest was science at 91%. I'm waiting on transcripts right now so I can go to sait and see if I need any upgrading before I apply to be an ultrasound technician. I'll be looking at 3 years of schooling while doing this stupid labor job. I dont know how I'm going to do it, but pray for me. Looking forward to better days. :D

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
MissPanda said:
I was a drop out. School was very hard for me because of my attention span. It's easier to control as adult, but I still struggle with focus. I can even drift out of a conversation with someone and go off in lala land. I'm so hyper too. I currently work in a warehouse and it is brutal physical labor. I already have permanent back issues from it and I'm only 32. I decided I would go back to school and get my GED, which was still hard considering I never paid attention in school and still struggle with focus. I had to build up my math from the basics, I didnt even remember how to hand divide. :oops: Well I passed all of them, my lowest was science at 91%. I'm waiting on transcripts right now so I can go to sait and see if I need any upgrading before I apply to be an ultrasound technician. I'll be looking at 3 years of schooling while doing this stupid labor job. I dont know how I'm going to do it, but pray for me. Looking forward to better days. :D
Mad respect for you and best of luck for the future! :)

honorstoise

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
asian parents definitely gonna force me to go to college lol

SM1199

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
For those that are in college currently, how are finals going for you?

This is my hardest semester so far in college. All semesters up until now, I had been taking 19 credits while also working a part time job. One semester I was even working two part time jobs - ironically, that semester I got As across the board. This semester I am taking 19 credits and working one part time job. I am getting my butt kicked by one or two classes. I have not gotten anything lower than an A- in my college career but right now I'm looking at a B- for my hardest class. :( I just took the final for that class today and I have no clue how I feel about it.

A piece of advice: If you can avoid it, don't ever take a class with a professor who takes pride in a 25% passing rate. Don't take a class with a professor whose ego is bigger than their teaching ability. Don't take a class with a professor who is psychologically abusive. Ask around, read up on RateMyProfessor.com. If their class is required to take for you to graduate and they are the only one who teaches it, try really hard not to take things personally. Keep your mental health afloat with fun things.

I am graduating next semester. I have had two professors who fit the description above, both completely unavoidable if I want to graduate. One teaches the class I currently have a B- in. She is the type of professor to remind us daily that if we're not putting three hours of our personal lives every day towards studying for her class, we won't pass. She is incredibly inconsiderate, thinks only from her own perspective, and never hesitates to undermine her students' effort without making any attempt to ask WHY they aren't doing/can't do what she expects. A few weeks ago, I had stayed up until 3 am finishing HER lab report (genuinely not procrastinating - I simply do not have enough time to keep up with her extensive demands), woke up at 6:30am to make the 50 minute commute to my 8 am class, and stood out in the freezing cold until 9:30 as part of my 8 am class. That class ran late so I asked the (very kind) professor if I could leave before everyone else to make sure I could make it to my next class on time. He said sure. I caught some "whatever"s and sighs and eye rolls from the other students. Made it to this lady's class 30 seconds before class started. Obviously targeting me but talking to the whole class, she said to us, "If you cannot prioritize your classes and manage your time efficiently, DO NOT show up to my class. I DO NOT want you here if you are going to act like middle schoolers. You all need to grow up and learn some responsibility." Yeah, like I didn't just CUT MY FIRST CLASS SHORT just to make it to YOUR class! Like I haven't been losing hours of sleep to finish YOUR assignments on time! I was internally fuming, but too tired to say anything, so I hung my head and dragged on.

Believe it or not, she is not nearly as bad as the botany professor I had last year. I once asked him to explain an answer on an exam he handed back and he threw up his arms, yelled "Because THAT'S THE ANSWER! You're all IDIOTS!" and stormed off like an angry toddler. He would start every lecture by berating us, telling us to drop his class (or out of college if he was REALLY angry) because none of us were going to pass anyway and we were all useless human beings who should work at a gas station. It was impossible for a class to end without someone getting up and leaving in tears with the way he treated us.

...end rant... sometimes I need to get this off my chest...

Crispii

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
SM1199 said:
For those that are in college currently, how are finals going for you?

This is my hardest semester so far in college. All semesters up until now, I had been taking 19 credits while also working a part time job. One semester I was even working two part time jobs - ironically, that semester I got As across the board. This semester I am taking 19 credits and working one part time job. I am getting my butt kicked by one or two classes. I have not gotten anything lower than an A- in my college career but right now I'm looking at a B- for my hardest class. :( I just took the final for that class today and I have no clue how I feel about it.

A piece of advice: If you can avoid it, don't ever take a class with a professor who takes pride in a 25% passing rate. Don't take a class with a professor whose ego is bigger than their teaching ability. Don't take a class with a professor who is psychologically abusive. Ask around, read up on RateMyProfessor.com. If their class is required to take for you to graduate and they are the only one who teaches it, try really hard not to take things personally. Keep your mental health afloat with fun things.

I am graduating next semester. I have had two professors who fit the description above, both completely unavoidable if I want to graduate. One teaches the class I currently have a B- in. She is the type of professor to remind us daily that if we're not putting three hours of our personal lives every day towards studying for her class, we won't pass. She is incredibly inconsiderate, thinks only from her own perspective, and never hesitates to undermine her students' effort without making any attempt to ask WHY they aren't doing/can't do what she expects. A few weeks ago, I had stayed up until 3 am finishing HER lab report (genuinely not procrastinating - I simply do not have enough time to keep up with her extensive demands), woke up at 6:30am to make the 50 minute commute to my 8 am class, and stood out in the freezing cold until 9:30 as part of my 8 am class. That class ran late so I asked the (very kind) professor if I could leave before everyone else to make sure I could make it to my next class on time. He said sure. I caught some "whatever"s and sighs and eye rolls from the other students. Made it to this lady's class 30 seconds before class started. Obviously targeting me but talking to the whole class, she said to us, "If you cannot prioritize your classes and manage your time efficiently, DO NOT show up to my class. I DO NOT want you here if you are going to act like middle schoolers. You all need to grow up and learn some responsibility." Yeah, like I didn't just CUT MY FIRST CLASS SHORT just to make it to YOUR class! Like I haven't been losing hours of sleep to finish YOUR assignments on time! I was internally fuming, but too tired to say anything, so I hung my head and dragged on.

Believe it or not, she is not nearly as bad as the botany professor I had last year. I once asked him to explain an answer on an exam he handed back and he threw up his arms, yelled "Because THAT'S THE ANSWER! You're all IDIOTS!" and stormed off like an angry toddler. He would start every lecture by berating us, telling us to drop his class (or out of college if he was REALLY angry) because none of us were going to pass anyway and we were all useless human beings who should work at a gas station. It was impossible for a class to end without someone getting up and leaving in tears with the way he treated us.

...end rant... sometimes I need to get this off my chest...
Wow. I feel sorry for you and hope that everything works out in the end. As for my finals, I did pretty well with my lowest grade being an 89. Just like you, this semester was really tough for me. Out of all of the classes that I took, I despise my English 2 class the most. Not only that, but I retook my federal government class this semester, but with a different professor. Fortunately, I passed the class with an A.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom