Colisa chuna or C. sota?

Discussion in 'Gouramis' started by Novemayune, Dec 14, 2012.

1. Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

According to wikipedia, colisa sota is a mistaken scientific name for the female honey gourami. Is that the truth, or is there a marked difference between C. sota and C. chuna?

2. :) fatcatfish (:

:) fatcatfish (: Well Known Member Member

There is no difference between C.sota and C.chuna they are both the same species.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

They've just restructured the classifications of some of the gouramis. The colisa are now trichogaster, and the trichogasters are now trichopodus.

I have no idea what the differences are, but we see this happen on a fairly regular basis. Cichlids are reclassified all the time.

4. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

This could be wrong, but from what I've gathered, they changed it from trichogaster chuna to colisa chuna, and chuna and sota are both variations of honey (possibly regional, almost certainly color-wise.)

5. Jaysee

They do not give color morphs their own species name, so they are either different species of honey gouramis or there is a quarrel within the community and they haven't sorted it out yet. And they don't give females a different species name than then males.

Colisa was the genus name for the DG and honey gouramis - trichogaster was the genus name for the 3 spot, pearl, moonlight and banded gouramis. Colisa seems to have been eliminated.

6. OP
    OP
    Novemayune

Novemayune Valued Member Member

I wondered if it was something along a reclassifications and information just needing to catch up. Thanks for the clarification. When I eventually get to the point of getting my centerpiece fish, I want to be sure I know what I am looking for ;)

7. Jaysee

Hahaha, I don't know how that would make a difference in your decision - it's really an irrelevant point ;)

8. Eienna

Eienna Fishlore VIP Member

I didn't mean it was a simple color morph. More like they definitely look different, whatever other differences there may be.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice