Coldwater Tank In Tropical Florida

FLDawna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 75 gallon tank that is stocked with specific fish I chose in order to not need a heater. I started it in December and of course during the winter months in Florida my temps stayed in the low 70's on average with very little home heating. This whole fish keeping business came about because I fostered an evacuated goldfish during hurricane season and ignorantly bought "friends" for him before I educated myself. I immediately bought a bigger tank, and shortly after...a bigger, bigger tank. I enjoyed stocking both tanks and through a TON of reading forums and care guides and fish bios I've ended up with a community of fish that's colorful, entertaining, and teaching me a lot about the hobby. The goldfish have a future home in my neighbor's natural half acre pond when they are big enough to be released. In the meantime I've tried to stock my tank with appropriate tank mates. Temperature wise these fish have a common window HOWEVER...Now that summer is here (yes summer in Florida usually starts in April) I'm finding my tanks all sit right around 78°. Overnight I turn my home AC down and the temps might drop to 76° by morning. What I'm wondering is how do folks in warm climates properly keep goldfish without using expensive chillers and such? My neighbor breeds and raises koi in the pond that my goldfish will be rehomed and I know it gets into the 80's during the hottest part of summer. I know there are folks who absolutely insist that goldfish should be kept in the low 70's max, but I don't feel like my goldfish are suffering from excessive heat. In fact they're growing like weeds (which I've read will happen in warmer water). If that's the case why would upper 70's be bad for them? The fact of the matter is that I bought them out of the feeder goldfish (comets) tank so I feel like as long as they aren't swimming in filth and starving they are already living a plus-column life. Don't get me wrong...I'm religious with upkeep and my tanks are ridiculously over filtered. I actually enjoy doing the weekly water changes and maintenance. ALL of my fish are vibrant and have grown rapidly. I feel like I'm giving them a good home and when these move on to the pond I'd really like to get a few more of the feeders and start over. They are my favorites to watch.
So am I missing something or am I doing the right thing?

Fahn

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Goldfish are hardy fish and can handle the higher temps. The main reasons they are recommended for cooler tanks is:

>cooler water has more dissolved oxygen
>goldfish have a lower metabolism in cooler water, so less waste and feeding
>goldfish live longer in cooler water due to lowered metabolic rate

Considering the temperature range for goldfish is ridiculously broad and they have been bred for literally thousands of years, I think they'll be OK.

FLDawna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was wondering how people keep their tanks so cold in the first place. I mean...if the tank is in their home the ambient temperature would certainly be a comfortable level for the human inhabitants, which would make for mid 70's temps with tank lights on right?

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dawna Hunn said:
I was wondering how people keep their tanks so cold in the first place. I mean...if the tank is in their home the ambient temperature would certainly be a comfortable level for the human inhabitants, which would make for mid 70's temps with tank lights on right?
Clip on fans, or chillers. I had mine in room temp. and it was fine. I can no longer keep them because the strand my LFS gets is very weak.

FLDawna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
A clip on fan? How much do you think that would lower my temps from 78°? Would I need to remove my glass hood? I actually had one of my Odessa Barbs land in my lap once when I was fiddling with something in the cabinet underneath the tank, so I'd rather not remove it if I don't have to.

Aqua Hands

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Dawna Hunn said:
A clip on fan? How much do you think that would lower my temps from 78°? Would I need to remove my glass hood? I actually had one of my Odessa Barbs land in my lap once when I was fiddling with something in the cabinet underneath the tank, so I'd rather not remove it if I don't have to.
I doubt it would lower it much... Mhhmmmm I hate getting water colder not hotter

FLDawna

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I feel so dumb! I never knew these fans existed. I'm checking them out on Amazon. Everything in my tank would enjoy a bit cooler temps, so I'm going to do a little more researching! I might just need to take the glass lid off though. Do you think that would lower the temp? I could get a screen for it if I needed to I suppose. I feel like 78 is okay but I've seen the temp get up to 80 a few times and that's just too much for any length of time. I used to keep the a/c set on 80 during the day and lower it at night but I'm at that point in my life where hot flashes are daily occurances so I leave it at 77 during the day now.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom