coldwater species (UK)

fletch

Valued Member
Reaction score
I have a 300 gallon pond and I have just put my pleco in it!! the air temperature here for the next few months is a steady 30-35 degrees celcius and Id guess that the water is about 25-28 celcius (just on a finger test between my tropical tank and the pond).
What is the lowest temperature that my pleco will be comfortable at and will it be safe to leave it in there over night?

The other question was about available coldwater species. Im aware that the water temp in the US can be a lot higher when you guys talk about "cold water". Im just wondering where I can get information about UK coldwater species that can withstand freezing water. Ive looked all over the internet and all I can find are sites about goldfish or american sites talking about cold water when actualy its not cold at all.
The species you can get for ponds at the moment are boring, grey and brown or goldfish and koi!!

chickadee

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
In my book, Aquarium Fish by Dick Mills, he lists other that Goldfish of several varieties and Koi, the following Coldwater Freshwater Fishes and their areas of origin:

Bitterling East Asia
Japenese Loach East Asia
Three -spine Stickleback Central and West Europe
Green Sunfish United States
Pumpkinseed United States
Orange-spotted Sunfish United States
Bluegill United States
Spotted Sunfish United States
Chinese Sailfin Sucker East Asia
Red Shiner United States
European Minnow Central and Western Europe
Fathead Minnow United States
Japanese Rose Bitterling East Asia
Bitterling Central and West Europe
Oily Gudgeon East Asia
Rudd Central and West Europe

I would suppose that just because these fishes are from the locations mentioned that doesn't mean that they are not available in other locations. You may want to check with the local or online fish places to see if they either stock or have a way to procure the types that you may find interesting. I have also found that occasionally that eBay will carry unusual types of fish and are most often sold by people who are willing and able to ship. I have bought the majority of my fish over eBay and so far have had no difficulty.

Rose

If you find you are interested in finding out about any of the above fishes, I would Google them as I find this the easiet and most complete source of information on the less prevalent fishes.

fletch

Valued Member
Reaction score
cheers. I have tried google but the lucky buggers in america consider about 20 degrees to be coldwater. not relaly good information for the UK

alex5455

Reaction score
hi i live in the north of the uk anmd have a big pond 6x4x6 i keep goldfish, orfe, comets, shubunkins, koi, barbel, tench all were fine even in the bad conditions we had last year hope ive helped

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom