Cold water stream tank

Discussion in 'Advanced Freshwater Aquarium Topics' started by BrookKeeper, Jul 24, 2015.

1. BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper New Member Member

Does anyone on here have any experience with a native stream tank? My prized possession is a 125 gallon set up with a 30 gallon sump and chiller stocked with brook trout and a load of minnows native to VA. I have spent an hour or so searching for threads with signs of experience in the arena, but I haven't found anything.

Is there anybody out there?

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

I don't know if we have anyone else who keep native fish. Most people don't have tanks big enough to keep most native fish.
    Keep us posted about your tank.

Carol

3. Gena

Gena Well Known Member Member

I think a lot of the native fish keepers hang out in the monster fish/monster tank communities.. That's just what I've seen.

I don't have any but I find native species fascinating and love to hear about them.

4. OP
    OP
    BrookKeeper

BrookKeeper New Member Member

Thank you for the reply! I don't think that tank size is an issue prohibiting folks here from keeping natives, from what I have seen there are a number of 100 gallon plus tanks on here... Natives really don't require anything more than an oscar would, if set up properly. Brookies larger than 15" inches are rather uncommon throughout most of their distribution, and the rest of the minnows that I keep would never exceed 4". There are TONS of astonishingly beautiful species native to the streams of the south eastern US that most people (maybe not on here, I hope) assume must be salt water species. It is true that a lot of them require a chiller, and chillers can be cost prohibitive, but I found mine used for $150. If you ever get bored of the beautiful fish on this site, take a look at the galleries on the   website. When I get around to it I will post pics.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice