Cold Water Pleco

Kribensis27

Hello all, I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion for a cold water tolerant pleco (or similar fish).

I love hillstream loaches, but they’re a bit too small and active for this purpose (living in a tank with my juvenile bluegill).

For those who don’t know, bluegill and most other sunfish are fairly aggressive.

They don’t mind medium sized, fast moving, top-middle dwelling fish, but will target small fish that can’t avoid them as easily.

They also don’t bother less active fish, or those which don’t draw much attention. Hillstream loaches are very similar in many ways to native darters, which are often prey to wild sunfish.

I’m fairly confident that a medium-sized pleco would be left alone. I’m only concerned about temperature. This tank drops to the low 60’s and high 50’s in winter. I don’t know of a pleco that can go down to 58 degrees.

If anyone has any recommendations, they will be greatly appreciated. In case you need to know, it’s a 55 gallon bow front with a small bluegill, 7 pearl danios, and maybe 90-150 snails of various types.

Betta'sAnonymous

They go after the small fish because FOOD!! That's what i have learned in a lifetime of fishing for various members of the sunfish family.

Kribensis27

Betta'sAnonymous said:
They go after the small fish because FOOD!! That's what i have learned in a lifetime of fishing for various members of the sunfish family.
Lol, true . The danios have only survived so far because they’re so fast. Back in summer, when the tank was warm enough, he actually got along really well with a pleco.

Betta'sAnonymous

Kribensis27 said:
Lol, true . The danios have only survived so far because they’re so fast. Back in summer, when the tank was warm enough, he actually got along really well with a pleco.
Kind of amazing. They can pop pretty fast when they want food.

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom