Cold water fish?

1. fletch Member Member

Ive just set up a large pond and I need to know what other fish there are other than goldfish and koi. Any ideas anyone?
    It would be nice to see a variation for once rather than gold or white.

2. Mike Fishlore Admin Moderator Member

You could put in a pleco in the warm months and then move it into an indoor aquarium in the cold months. That may be too much trouble though.

3. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

I had a black moor who used to go outside in the warm months with the goldfish - he always grew so much over the summer!Have a look at http://www.worldofwater.com/goldfish.htm to get an idea of what there is available.
    Enjoy!

4. fletch Member Member

Thanks for helping. So in other words there isnt really that much variation! I was considering puting gouramis in in the summer but its too much hassle

5. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

I think it may still be a bit too cold for gouramis cos they're tropical whereas a moor is coldwater anyway. Dont want to freeze the little fishies!
    Have a look at your local garden centres for more ideas - I know what you mean about it all being red/white/gold though!
    One garden centre had a white pond liner with black moors in it which looked groovy but heavy maintenance to keep the liner white!

6. 0morrokh Fishlore VIP Member

You can also put White Clouds in your pond, but like the plecos you have to bring them indoors in the summer.