Cold Water 75 Gallon River Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by Daniel13, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Daniel13

Daniel13Valued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    Hi so I'm turning my 75 gallon aquarium into a river/ stream tank. Currently the planned stocking is hillstream loachs, White cloud mountain minnows, zebra danios, rainbow, candy and green dartes. Scape will be some drift wood lots of river rocks. Some vallisneria with root tabs and a sand substrate. Is there any other fish I can add to the mix to make things more interesting. Maybe a larger peaceful fish that can be alone and won't bother the other fish?

2. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    Weather loach? Maybe madtoms. I think the smallest North American species is the Tadpole madtom.

3. OP
    OP
    Daniel13

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    It doesn't have to be north American just cold water. Ill look into the madtom, but as for the weather loach there illegal in New York state.

Any ideas for mid to top level swimers?

4. scarface

scarfaceFishlore VIPMember

Ratings:
    +7,263
    Experience:
    Just started
    Not right now. That’s a tough one. Bottom dwellers are a lot easier to throw out. You can definitely try some Rubberlip plecos. There are varying species under that name, so some may look slightly different from the other, but they all, from what I’ve learned, come from fast, cool rivers and streams. A couple of those added will look nice amidst the Hillstream loaches I think.

I also suggest looking into Bristlenose plecos. They may not be as cold tolerant as the Hillstreams and Rubberlips, but they’re known to be caught in the wild in temperature in the low sixties. They are also the go to tropical fish for goldfish tanks.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  5. OP
    OP
    Daniel13

Ratings:
    +6
    Experience:
    1 year
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've been wanting to get some more plecos just not sure what species to get.

Become a Fishlore Member