Cold fish/Hot Fish ?????

1. chickadee Fishlore VIP Member

This may sound silly, but the last week we have had every kind of weather around here. It has been spring-like and then we have had 50 mile an hour winds and snow coming down all over the place. I happened to notice that both of my fish were happy and swimming all over the place when the weather was good out, but on the day it was cold and windy they stayed at the bottom of their tanks more and did a lot less swimming about. I thought that maybe their heaters weren't keeping up but they were at the usual temperature level. So I am throwing it open to you all and hope I get a good sample to let me know if I am going round the bend or do they really react to the weather even though they can neither see nor hear what is going on outside.

Thank you for your vote.

Shalom,

Rose

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Yes they definitely react to weather conditions. Many fish spawn with changing barometric pressure.
    In the spring in the wild when there are rain storms and the water temps change corys spawn, this can be simulated by water changes of water a degree cooler. Have done this and it works.
    My angel fish spawn just about everytime the weather changes. I have induced spawning by doing large water changes when a weather change is predicted.

Carol