Coffee Table 50 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Xeapo, Sep 9, 2018.

1. X

Xeapo New Member Member

hello. I have a 50 gallon breeder tank, 36x18x18, that I had a coffee table built to go around it. Now I know these size tanks can get very heavy, around 500 pounds, but I was wondering if anyone knows if this would be safe in a second floor apartment complex that was built I believe within the last 15 years or so. The tank would not be sitting directly on the floor. It would be sitting about maybe an 1 1/2 off the floor. Any help would be greatly appreciated, and if you have any questions please ask.

2. Igor95

Igor95 Well Known Member Member

I have a 75G on the 15th floor in an apartment. The building being built in the past 15 years should've been build according to the latest safety tech, you SHOULD be fine.

3. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

The tank will weigh closer to 600 lbs.

I would be more worried of the coffee table breaking then anything.

4. FiscCyning

FiscCyning Valued Member Member

It won’t break through the floor unless you have some serious structural issues in your house (in which case the tank is the least of your concerns!) Just make sure that the coffee table is strong enough to hold it. Was the person who built the table aware of how much weight it would be holding?

5. OP
    OP
    X

Xeapo New Member Member

Yes. He builds them regularly mainly for 40 gallon breeders but said the table should be just fine for a 50

6. OP
    OP
    X

Xeapo New Member Member

So I just got an update from the maintenance guys that work here the apartments I live in were built in the last six years. So they should definitely be up to the code idor95 was talking about so I’m going ahead with filling it.

7. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

The further into the center of a large room with no load-bearing walls below, the more stress it puts on the floor joists. BUT, being only on the second floor, and the weight being 500-600lbs, you should be fine. That's less than many pianos. Just make sure other heavy furniture is against the walls or in other rooms to be safe.

8. OP
    OP
    X

Xeapo New Member Member

That’s pretty much already done everything else is up against walls and the apartment below is the same layout has mine.

9. OP
    OP
    X

Xeapo New Member Member

10. Lunnietic

Lunnietic Well Known Member Member

100% depends on what you want to put in your tank.

11. Lacey D

Lacey D Well Known Member Member

Agree with @Lunnietic, but this might be an option: , err about 22 minutes in, for the intank box fluidized filter build.

12. OP
    OP
    X

Xeapo New Member Member

So I went with a sponge filter. Anyone know of a way that I might be able to conceal the filter with out disrupting its function? And I have a powerhead filter I could attach would you guys recommend that as well. My tank is tropical coummunity fish to include 6 platies, 10 Buenos Aires tetras, 5 neon tetras, 1 molly, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 dwarf cichlid, and 4 otocinclus catfish.

So that filter as the potential to look pretty cool. What kind of adhesive would I use to glue something like that together?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2018
  13. D

Daniel Kraus Valued Member Member

Best way to conceal it might just be planting the tank and trying to hide the filter behind them.

14. OP
    OP
    X

Xeapo New Member Member

So I wanted to show you guys what the tank looks like so here’s a picture. Please let me know what you guys and girls think.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice