Coconut Shell Hut

Bettabuddies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I'm making my fish a coconut hut from a shell. I was just wondering if I should boil it before puting it in the tank?

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes. I boil mine for about 10 mins, then scrub with a green scour pad, then boil again for about 20 mins, then scrub again and rinse thoroughly. The water from the first boil is a really pretty red and makes a good flower vase water.

Bettabuddies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Mick Frost said:
Yes. I boil mine for about 10 mins, then scrub with a green scour pad, then boil again for about 20 mins, then scrub again and rinse thoroughly. The water from the first boil is a really pretty red and makes a good flower vase water.
Wow thanks this was really helpful

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Never thought about boiling I'll have to give that a try, that's got to be easer than my way of soaking in a strong bleach solution and scraping and than let dry for a week.

NavyChief20

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yukondog said:
Never thought about boiling I'll have to give that a try, that's got to be easer than my way of soaking in a strong bleach solution and scraping and than let dry for a week.
hey brother, be careful with the bleach. I know it works pretty well but i would worry about absorbtion. It can be tough to get it all out.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I had thought of that and scrub, rinse, scrub, and rinse the **** out of it, that I normally set out in sun for about a week. But I think I like the boil method better, will give that a try. I here what your saying on the it may soak in, but coconut is so dens it wont even float when dry.

Bettabuddies

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I still wouldn't risk it with bleach even if they are dense. I'm in the middle of boiling my shell right now

Mick Frost said:
You wouldn't happen to know if the coconut will turn my tank water red?

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I have coconuts in all my tanks some for over 2 yrs. and have not seen any change in color. As far as bleach go never a problem, but I do let them sit in the sun for about a week, the boiling sound a lot easer.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yukondog said:
I have coconuts in all my tanks some for over 2 yrs. and have not seen any change in color. As far as bleach go never a problem, but I do let them sit in the sun for about a week, the boiling sound a lot easer.
The bleach/boiling/sun cure would negate the color (tannin) leach a lot

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom