Coconut Shell Hut

Bettabuddies

I'm making my fish a coconut hut from a shell. I was just wondering if I should boil it before puting it in the tank?

Mick Frost

Yes. I boil mine for about 10 mins, then scrub with a green scour pad, then boil again for about 20 mins, then scrub again and rinse thoroughly. The water from the first boil is a really pretty red and makes a good flower vase water.

Bettabuddies

Mick Frost said:
Yes. I boil mine for about 10 mins, then scrub with a green scour pad, then boil again for about 20 mins, then scrub again and rinse thoroughly. The water from the first boil is a really pretty red and makes a good flower vase water.
Wow thanks this was really helpful

yukondog

Never thought about boiling I'll have to give that a try, that's got to be easer than my way of soaking in a strong bleach solution and scraping and than let dry for a week.

NavyChief20

yukondog said:
Never thought about boiling I'll have to give that a try, that's got to be easer than my way of soaking in a strong bleach solution and scraping and than let dry for a week.
hey brother, be careful with the bleach. I know it works pretty well but I would worry about absorbtion. It can be tough to get it all out.

yukondog

I had thought of that and scrub, rinse, scrub, and rinse the **** out of it, that I normally set out in sun for about a week. But I think I like the boil method better, will give that a try. I here what your saying on the it may soak in, but coconut is so dens it won't even float when dry.

DoubleDutch

I've always put them in without rinsing aso.
What exact is the use ?

Bettabuddies

I still wouldn't risk it with bleach even if they are dense. I'm in the middle of boiling my shell right now

Mick Frost said:
You wouldn't happen to know if the coconut will turn my tank water red?

Mick Frost

Bettabuddies said:
You wouldn't happen to know if the coconut will turn my tank water red?
Slowly, the same way driftwood turns the water brown. Could look kinda cool, actually.

Bettabuddies

Mick Frost said:
Slowly, the same way driftwood turns the water brown. Could look kinda cool, actually.
plus it might be good for my other live plants

yukondog

I have coconuts in all my tanks some for over 2 yrs. and have not seen any change in color. As far as bleach go never a problem, but I do let them sit in the sun for about a week, the boiling sound a lot easer.

Mick Frost

yukondog said:
I have coconuts in all my tanks some for over 2 yrs. and have not seen any change in color. As far as bleach go never a problem, but I do let them sit in the sun for about a week, the boiling sound a lot easer.
The bleach/boiling/sun cure would negate the color (tannin) leach a lot

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom