Cockatoo + Ember Tetras =bad Combo? Question

Discussion in 'Cockatoo Cichlid' started by Latrell, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    I am thing about getting some apisto's when my 40 gallon breeder is fully established but I heard that when a pair start breeding they will be to aggressive with ember tetras. Wouldn't they be aggressive with other fish inhabitants like guppys, swordtails, and black phantoms,Cory and bn pleco ? And have can I avoid this problem bc I want all of these species to co-exists in a planted tank......in the future.

2. KeegansTropiks

KeegansTropiksValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +26
    Hi there.
    If you have a nicely scaped tank with space for fish to create territory (Apistos) and a large number of Ember Tetras you should be fine.

When breeding they get territorial because they are about to have offspring but Ember tetras aren’t going to bother or go near them. If you have 1-4 they might pick the embers off but a bigger school will just stay out of the Apistos way. I have a 15 Gal with a plakat betta and 10 Embers, he gets into fight mode now and again and they all seem to just get out the way until he calms down.
    Hope this Helps.

3. imba

imbaWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +866
    The apistos will chill at the bottom of the tank, especially when they breed. So the embers should be fine.

Pencil fish are also great dither fish for apistos as they are less skittish and shy compared to the embers.

4. OP
    OP
    Latrell

LatrellValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +39
    Experience:
    2 years
    Imma try to make the scape as best planted with a couple caves in between the plants

Okay thanks I might consider those.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2019