cockatoo cichlids at petsmart

1. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

They are selling cockatoo cichlids at my local petsmart at 12.99 each, but i dont see any real color on there fins...they r not that big...but the fins are greyish in color...could they be females maybe?...i want cockatoo's...but not sure if these are worth it...what do you guys think?

2. Dino Fishlore VIP Member

Could be young fish.

3. bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

The lack of color could either be poor breeding or stress. I have bought rainbowfish from Petsmart that were quite pale. Once they acclimated to my tank, they have become quite colorful.

If you trust your Petsmart to buy quality fish, I say go for it. If not, buying from a fellow hobbyist may be a better option for you.

4. allaboutfish Well Known Member Member

over priced really.

5. Lexi03 Well Known Member Member

I wouldn't say so I bought mine from a fellow fishlore member, I payed $30.00 for a pair, my LFS sells them for 14.99 apiece and I see them on aquabid all the time for 12.99.

6. gourami88 Member Member

The price really isn't bad, but I would almost just buy from a reliable hobbyist here or on aquabid as opposed to Petsmart. But as was said earlier, depends on your Petsmart. If you trust the quality of their fish then go for it, otherwise i'd pass.

7. raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

When i bought some a long time ago...the fins were at least red and they were also young...so im not sure