Cockatoo Cichlid Dead After 1 Night??

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by brondo, Apr 7, 2019.

1. brondoValued MemberMember

Morning guys.
    Its been a rough couple fish days. My worst. My Cockatoo fry I had bought 2 weeks before ended up with a very deformed spine and died. Then 1 of my 3 Marbled Crays had a bad molt and lost a claw, 1 of the other 2 decided to remove several of the other legs and claw later in the day, I found her but she died. I returned my Cichlid fry to my lfs, they give me an adult male, hes a beaut, put him in the QT tank seems happy, wake up today, he is dead. Looks just as pretty as he did lasr night. Not a blemish. Whaaaat the?
    Perams are great 0am 0nitri 10 nitra ph7.6
    Gh&kh 4 78F. Its a $16 Fish, alot for me. But my LFS is gonna look at me like....Again lady? Im also worried that if I do get another one, will it die too? Why did this last one die? I had him 18 hours. My water is good. I didnt drip acclimate but I floated and then added the new water, removing old several times over an hour before releasing him. What could have gone wrong?

2. PictusbossValued MemberMember

When you removed the old water did it get into the QT tank?

3. PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

It doesn’t really sound like you did anything wrong to me... if anything I’d be suspicious of the LFS’s stock. To me it sounds like they do not have the best quality of cockatoos. Have you bought any other species from them?

4. brondoValued MemberMember

No, I dont want their water mixing with mine so I netted him out and released him.

5. brondoValued MemberMember

No, I have not. And that does make sense. Its just that he seemed totally fine, was settling in when I went to bed. I just cant figure what could kill him so fast when he lookes so perfect.

6. brondoValued MemberMember

My main concern now is that I had been planning on getting a pair of Super Red Appistogrammas, which, correct me if I am wrong are basically the same thing as a Cockatoo besides color. I got the Cockatoo because I couldnt resist this little Fry.
    So if I decided to go back to my original plan and get the Reds, they come from a very reliable source. But I need to make sure that I didnt cause the last one to die.