cockatiel parents losing interest?

fishyfishyfishy13

My cockatiels have layed their eggs and one hatched 2 days ago there should be another one hatching today but I was watching them and they seem to have abandoned the hatchling, they aren't trying to keep it warm or paying any kind of attention to it. I think it is about to die, I put a lamp on the box to try to keep it warm but I don't think this will work, Would it be too early to put it in a brooder and handfeed since its only 2 days old?

gremlin

It is not too early. Can you tell if they have been feeding it? If you aren't sure, then take a picture of the baby and post it - I'll try to see if it has been fed. If you were closer, I'd offer to raise it for you!

fishyfishyfishy13

sadly it has died the chick did look thin but I think I saw the parents trying to feed it, they were beak to beak with the chick but I don't know if they can't regurgitate like they are supposed to or there was something wrong with the baby. It seemed like they were taking such good care of it until about noon today when it was just laying to the side, I pulled it out to look at it and it but it didn't chirp and didn't move around that much. here are some pictures from yesterday around this time I think you have seen them on my other thread

Attachments

• 100_2111.jpg
    100_2111.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 931
  • 100_2110.jpg
    100_2110.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 1,460
  • 100_2107.jpg
    100_2107.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 527
  • 100_2108.jpg
    100_2108.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 955
  • cockatiel.jpg
    cockatiel.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 857

Akari_32

Awww I'm sorry! T_T Animals are good about telling if rasing their kids is a waste of time or not. It very well may have been that the chick was unhealthy and wouldnt have lived any way.

fishyfishyfishy13

yeah but its like they were trying to feed it I don't know if its just that the seed they eat wasn't enough but that really all I can get them to eat.

Akari_32

yeah but its like they were trying to feed it I don't know if its just that the seed they eat wasn't enough but that really all I can get them to eat.

They can eat other things too right? Like meal worms (no clue where I heard that lol)?

gremlin

It looks to me like Mama was just inexperienced. The chick has no food in it's crop. It most likely starved.

Your cockatiels can eat just about any fruit and veggie that you can. Also, you can feed them hard boiled egg yolks or scrambled eggs. Read the cockatiel care sheet that is stickied at the top of the bird forum. I put a bunch of stuff in there that cockatiels can and will eat. Seed only is not the best diet to be raising chicks on. When/if any other eggs hatch, you may need to feed the babies. You can try leaving them with the parents, just feed the chick each morning and then again in the afternoon or evening. The parents will not abandon the chick "because of human smell" as birds do not have a sense of smell. Also, if the parents are fairly used to you tending to things in the cage, they should do fine. Put some of the non-seed food in for the parents each morning, don't give up - they will eventually try it. If you want, you can let them see you enjoying the food also. That always worked with my cockatiel and new foods. It also has worked with the lovebirds I have raised. They all wanted to try what "mama" was eating. Keep me posted and with any luck at all, the next egg will hatch and you will be able to help the parents learn how to raise the baby.

Here are a couple pics so you can see what the "crop" or "craw" is. The first pic is a baby finch showing a full crop - you can see the seed through the stretched out skin. The second pic is one of the lovebirds I raised - he is fully feathered in the pic, but you can see how full his crop is since it sticks out between his head and body.

Best of luck with the rest of the eggs and keep us posted!

Attachments

• baby finch showing seed.JPG
    baby finch showing seed.JPG
    95.4 KB · Views: 1,053
  • pic 30 Twitters taking a nap 02 04 09.JPG
    pic 30 Twitters taking a nap 02 04 09.JPG
    124.2 KB · Views: 370

fishyfishyfishy13

Could it be possible that the chick just didn't know to open up when they were tryin to feed it? I saw both birds with their beaks over the chicks beek. My mom was talking to a cockatiel breeder who happens to be a family friend and she said that it sounds like they were trying to feed the baby. I have put in some celery in with their seed and my male has picked at it a little but that's as far as they got.

gremlin

Try an egg. You can either scramble one (no seasonings or oils or anything, just the egg) or mash up a boiled egg yolk. They usually like that. You an even sprinkle some of their seed on the egg (or stir it in when you mash the boiled egg yolk). Try some cooked veggies - broccoli, cauliflower, cooked carrot, peas, green beans, corn. Keep the pieces fairly small at first, and see how they do. Your adults are not really hand tamed, are they? If you want to hand tame them, just holler and I can give you some pointers. The first two things you would need to do is to separate them and to clip their wings. It makes taming them much much easier.

As for the baby not opening up to be fed, I suppose it is possible, but it is more likely that the parents weren't sure just how to feed. It could also have been a combination of the two. It is instinct for the baby to know to open and beg. The feeding a baby part is also somewhat instinctive, but is also learned when the mama was being fed by her mama. It is more common for there to be problems with the parents not being sure how to take care of the babies than for the babies to not know how to beg to be fed.

fishyfishyfishy13

No my adults are not hand tamed, my male is so aggresive I really wouldn't know were to start. My female though she is kind of tamed down but she is still pretty jumpy and they liked to be left alone. I put in some celery stalk and leaves and my male seems to like it but she just doesn't want anything to do with it, I have also put in a small chunk of apple and put seeds on that but they avoid it too. I do keep my females wings clipped, but she gets really uncorapative when she is laying eggs and it seems like I have to retame her.

Now on the egg subject, there aren't anymore that have hatched yet. I took them out yesterday to look at them and it looked like there was an air bubble but it seemed like the eggs were just full of water, is that normal? sorry for all of the questions

gremlin

If you hold the eggs up to the light and they look clear (like nothing but water) then they are most likely not fertile - you can throw them out. If they are dark, then there is a possibility that they may still hatch. Wait for about a week after the first baby hatched. If no more eggs have hatched, then most likely they won't and you can take them all out and throw them away. At that point I would also take the nest box out and let your female rest for awhile.

Try to get them to eat more of a variety of foods. Sometimes sprouted seed or romaine lettuce or parsley works well if they don't want other fruits or veggies. Also tried some scrambled egg or cooked veggies. Don't give up - it may take them a while to try something new. If you want, you could take the seed out of the cage and only have the new foods in the cage. Then put the seed in for a couple hours each evening. That way they won't starve (they can eat their seed in the evening) but they may be more willing to try sampling new foods since they are usually hungriest in the mornings.

fishyfishyfishy13

Okay so what about the air bubble... are the eggs supposed to have that? they are not clear, they're a yellow color.

Thanks! I think Ill try that with the veggies.

gremlin

Sorry I wasn't "clear" (pun intended) on the clarity of the eggs. They will not be clear like water - more they will be clear and allow light through the egg. You can 'candle' the eggs with a flashlight. Place the egg on the lens of the flashlight (with the flashlight pointing up so the egg doesn't fall off) and turn the flashlight on. Turn the light in the room off. If the whole egg kind of glows showing the light through the shell, it is not fertile. If the egg remains dark and block the light of the flashlight, then there is a baby in there that could still hatch. As for the air bubble, it is normal. Think about a chicken egg - when you boil the eggs then peel them, sometimes there is an air pocket, usually on the big end. It is perfectly normal.

Another thing you can try is scrambling an egg with shredded or mashed veggies cooked in with it. I would do that for my cockatiel sometimes and she loved it (especially when I added a bit of cheese).

fishyfishyfishy13

Okay thanks Ill keep that in mind

Similar Aquarium Threads

• fishyfishyfishy13
  • Bird
Replies
Views
fishyfishyfishy13
  • fishyfishyfishy13
  • Bird
Replies
Views