Cochu's Blue Tetra Vs. Neon Tetra

Shreyawagle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have a 25gallon heavily planted cube tank. I want something Blue in the tank. I was wondering if cochu's blue tetra will be a better option than neon tetra (in terms of colour). I have never seen a cochu's blue tetra before. My lfs won't stock them. And from the pics half of em appear a bit plain than blue. If I want them, I'll have to order them from a shop a bit far from here. Plus they are pretty expensive. On the other hand neons are easily available and cheaper.
I don't mind paying a bit extra but I want that fish to pop in the aquarium. Which would be a better choice? I don't mind the bit red the neons have. I don't even mind cardinal tetras but since I have embers already want the community to be of similar size fishes.

Tol

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
There is also Blue Emperor Tetra. Cardinals are a little more vibrant and have a little more blue than Neons and get about the same size as the Cochu's Blue. Temperature compatibility might be a deciding factor too. What is your current stocking for the tank? If it doesn't have to be necessarily a school of blue fish, there are also other options like Rams, Dwarf Gourami, etc..

If you narrowed down to just those two, personally I would go with Neons. They look nice in a planted tank, very common and cheaper to build a big school with them.

OP
Shreyawagle

Shreyawagle

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Currently I have 5 cories and 11 ember tetra. I like Cardinals more but I thought they get huge like 2 inches in size. My fishes are approximately 1 inch or less. Does the blue tetra get as big as Cardinals?

T
Tol said:
There is also Blue Emperor Tetra. Cardinals are a little more vibrant and have a little more blue than Neons and get about the same size as the Cochu's Blue. Temperature compatibility might be a deciding factor too. What is your current stocking for the tank? If it doesn't have to be necessarily a school of blue fish, there are also other options like Rams, Dwarf Gourami, etc..

If you narrowed down to just those two, personally I would go with Neons. They look nice in a planted tank, very common and cheaper to build a big school with them.
The shops in my area do not acclimate the fish properly so I usually buy 12 at a time as they are cheaper and it's its a pretty decent school even if few of them die. So I always buy in dozens. I already have gouramis and mainly for this tank I am thinking about peaceful nano community fish. Do any of those 3 fishes nip fins?
I am even thinking about adding a betta (maybe after 6 months or so)

Tol

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Shreyawagle said:
T

The shops in my area do not acclimate the fish properly so I usually buy 12 at a time as they are cheaper and it's its a pretty decent school even if few of them die. So I always buy in dozens. I already have gouramis and mainly for this tank I am thinking about peaceful nano community fish. Do any of those 3 fishes nip fins?
I am even thinking about adding a betta (maybe after 6 months or so)
All tetras can get a little nippy, especially if kept in low numbers. The worst offenders are generally things like Serpae, Black Skirts, Lemon and Bleeding Heart Tetras. The numbers you are planning on stocking, I would not worry about it much, but there are always exceptions. I have 12 neons in my tank right now, and I have never seen any of them nip at each other or any other fish for that matter.

New Threads