Cochin Blue Fin Tetra Black Spot

Vijay Raj R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hi folks,
I got a few cochus(blue tetra) in my aquarium.
One of them has started developing black spot in the front and rear. Also got a quite big belly.
For your reference I've added few pictures of it in the attachment.

Please have a look at it tell me what's the problem? In order to take precautions before something unusual happens.

Attachments

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Your tetra is pregnant the black spot is called a gravid spot its a sign that they are pregnant congrats!? (Don’t know if you want baby tetras)

Vijay Raj R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Iverg1 said:
Your tetra is pregnant the black spot is called a gravid spot its a sign that they are pregnant congrats!? (Don’t know if you want baby tetras)
But the black spot on the front is too dark!!
Sometimes she hides inside the plastic tunnel (pipe) or near the oil firm filter. I never expected this could happen. Feeling amazed.

So, if she's pregnant then what should I do now?
Do you have any idea when she gonna release her fries? Oops!! I don't even know she gonna lay eggs or release her fries like mollies.

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
The tank need some to be kept 77 degrees soft water slightly acidic 5-6 on ph scale or the same as you have now. As soon as she lays eggs (that will take a day)remove the adults as they will eat the eggs.The eggs will be hard to see so keep an eye out.When they hatch which will be in between 2 months to 4 months they will look like glass splinters swimming. They will need to be kept in the dark for up to five days after they hatch as they will be sensitive to light. Use a flashlight to feed them special food for fry after three months introduce them to the adults then you can sell them to your Pet store or to your family and friends the pet store will only give you 11-30 cents

Vijay Raj R said:
But the black spot on the front is too dark!!
So.......

Vijay Raj R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Iverg1 said:
The tank need some to be kept 77 degrees soft water slightly acidic 5-6 on ph scale or the same as you have now. As soon as she lays eggs (that will take a day)remove the adults as they will eat the eggs.The eggs will be hard to see so keep an eye out.When they hatch which will be in between 2 months to 4 months they will look like glass splinters swimming. They will need to be kept in the dark for up to five days after they hatch as they will be sensitive to light. Use a flashlight to feed them special food for fry after three months introduce them to the adults then you can sell them to your Pet store or to your family and friends the pet store will only give you 11-30 cents

So.......
According to you it could lay the eggs in this week or what? I got anubias Nana gold and petite. Is that okay?

YummySashimi

Valued Member
Reaction score
Looks like one pregnant female to me

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Vijay Raj R said:
According to you it could lay the eggs in this week or what? I got anubias Nana gold and petite. Is that okay?
Yeah seems fine I don’t know by the way she looks she could lay any day

Vijay Raj R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Iverg1 said:
Yeah seems fine I don’t know by the way she looks she could lay any day
My fish is dead. R.I.P

Iverg1

Well Known Member
Reaction score