20 Gallon Tank Coccidia: Meds and Dosage?

fishydaddy

I recently collected a sample of long stringy white feces from my pea puffers, and as one does, looked at it under 450x magnification for fun.

20210913_175313.jpg

I was expecting parasites, but found what appears to be coccidia. (If you think otherwise, please let me know)
None of the fish in this tank seem to be exhibiting any symptoms, but I would like to attempt to control this bacterial issue as much as possible before it becomes an issue.
Through research, treating coccidia does not seem to be commonplace in the aquarium hobby and can be tricky, but I have been able to find some papers and other resources mentioning the use of toltrazuril.
Toltrazuril is commonly sold under the name Baycox and is usually used orally for livestock.
I am curious if anyone has, or has heard of, using baycox in fish feed to treat coccidia and knows what dosage is used.
I have found some dosage information, but it is usually in studies on controlling gyrodactylus or ich in farmed fish, so I am unsure if the same dosage would work for coccidia infections.
If anyone knows of another med that is effective in treating coccidia I would love to hear from you as well.
I feel like I may be shouting into the void on this one as it is very specific and I don't know of many people who work in aquatic veterinary science, so thank you all for any insight you may have.

Rose of Sharon

Hi fishydaddy,

I am by no means any kind of vet, nor am I trained in any of the vet sciences. Everything that I know I get from my library of fish health books, so please take this for what it's worth.

After I read your post, I grabbed one of my fish disease books, Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health by Helen Roberts. I did find some info about the med and the dosage. The book states that coccidosis is hardly ever found in live fish, so I guess it's pretty tough to treat and mostly found after doing a necropsy.

In the chart in the book where it lists meds and dosages, it does identify Toltrazuril as being Baycox (brand) - Bayer Animal Health. Under dosage, it says 7-10 mg/kg orally every 24 hours x 5 days to treat coccidiosis. This info came from The BSAVA Manual of Ornamental Fish Health, 2nd ed. by W.H. Wildgoose and G. A. Lewbart. It is listed under the heading Chemotherapeutics.

There is a comment that says to take caution with some species, but it doesn't go into any detail about those species.

I know that this isn't much, but I hope it helps answer part of your question.

Good luck!

fishydaddy

Hi fishydaddy,

I am by no means any kind of vet, nor am I trained in any of the vet sciences. Everything that I know I get from my library of fish health books, so please take this for what it's worth.

After I read your post, I grabbed one of my fish disease books, Fundamentals of Ornamental Fish Health by Helen Roberts. I did find some info about the med and the dosage. The book states that coccidosis is hardly ever found in live fish, so I guess it's pretty tough to treat and mostly found after doing a necropsy.

In the chart in the book where it lists meds and dosages, it does identify Toltrazuril as being Baycox (brand) - Bayer Animal Health. Under dosage, it says 7-10 mg/kg orally every 24 hours x 5 days to treat coccidiosis. This info came from The BSAVA Manual of Ornamental Fish Health, 2nd ed. by W.H. Wildgoose and G. A. Lewbart. It is listed under the heading Chemotherapeutics.

There is a comment that says to take caution with some species, but it doesn't go into any detail about those species.

I know that this isn't much, but I hope it helps answer part of your question.

Good luck!
Thank you so much for your response, this is extremely helpful!
I have this book, I should've thought to check in there I always forget I have books I can reference.
Thanks again for responding, I wasn't expecting anyone to reply so I appreciate it.

Rose of Sharon

Glad I could help!!! And I am glad that you have that book, too!

Oh, and I found a web site that might be helpful from time to time, too. It is merckvetmanual.com. I just found it, so I haven't had a lot of time to peruse it yet, but I have it bookmarked, just in case I may need it myself...

fishydaddy

Ah thank you for the website recommendation too! I am always looking for more resources for aquatic health. I appreciate all your help :)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
PoorlyCoded
Replies
Views
Tigerburp
Replies
Views
richiep
Replies
Views