"Cobwebs" in tank?

1. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I just did a large water change in what had been my sorority tank. My girls have been dropping like flies and I'm down to 2 from a high of 10:( I was beginning to think that something had been sprayed outside that drifted through the window and poisoned them but for the fact that the RCS appear to be fine.

Anyway, when I poured the new water in it kicked up a bit of murk from the sand. It was very fine dust and didn't stay long but after I noticed that it had caught in mucusy stuff trailing off my plants and driftwood making them look like dusty cobwebs in a haunted house.

Has anyone seen this before or have any idea what caused it? Could it be related to the deaths of my Bettas?

IMG_20160613_210421232.jpg IMG_20160613_210341660.jpg IMG_20160613_210334523.jpg

2. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Do you have mysteries in with the girls? It looks like stuff caught on snail mucus to me...

3. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

No mysteries, though there are a few bladder snails in there. They're not a big problem though and I seldom see them.

4. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Maybe some type of algae/decaying plant matter that was kicked up when you did the change?

5. Aquaphobia Fishlore Legend Member

I don't think so, the stringy stuff is lying across the tops of the highest leaves, even where I poured in the water.